VOGONS

First post, by Sharksppine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

I hope you people can help a newbie SC-55 user and novice audio tinkerer.

I have a relative modern Windows 10 PC with a Z87 Gigabyte mother board which has Realtek on board audio. For several years I've been using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (1st Gen) USB audio interface connecting my PC to my two Yamaha monitors. This setup is really simple and allows me to play my games and do easy music recording tasks with no issues whatsoever.

Recently, I've fallen in love with DOS gaming again and have managed to snag an original Roland SC-55 (Firmware version 1.20/GS Logo Only) to play my 90's games. I have been playing through the original retail CD version of System Shock using DOSbox (D-fend) ,and the Munt emulator but wanted to experience the real hardware sound.

I have connected the SC-55 to my PC using the official Roland UM-One MIDI USB connector and have used a UGREEN 2-RCA to 1 x 3.5mm Audio Cable to connect the SC-55 audio output to the LINE IN on my onboard audio (Blue Jack).

After tinkering with my sound devices in Windows 10 I can now have both the SC-55 music and the digital sound playing together but only through the front Headphone Jack on my PC Tower.

I can play hear the digital sound through the speakers AND the SC-55 music through the headphones simultaneously but never any of the SC-55 music through the speakers. I have updated the Scarlett 2i2 drivers and updated the Realtek drivers too. I have ensured all the volume sliders are up full and are unmuted and tried every combination I can think of.

Can anyone help? Is it impossible for the SC-55's music to come back through to my Scarlett 2i2 and out through the speakers without a physical wired connection even though I can hear both through the front headphone jack?

As I said, my experience and knowledge is limited. I'm new to this and have tried to research as much as possible before asking you guys.

Thank you for your time.

Reply 1 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What you are describing is completely normal.

The onboard Realtek audio device and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 are two separate audio devices. Without a cable to connect them, what is input into one of them will not be "heard" (or output) by the other . There are ways around this, but that may not be optimal (see option 2).

Here are the 2 options I see .

Option 1) (IMHO the best choice would be this one )
Unless I am mistaken about your first generation Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, it has a pair of inputs that should be usable as a stereo line-level input, a headphone output and a line-output . You could hook up the SC-55's line out to Scarlett's line input and use your headphones through the Scarlett's headphone jack . Why even use the onboard Realtek device ?

Option 2
It is possible to use software to route an audio signal between two such separate audio devices . One simple way to do this is to use functionality integrated into Windows 10 (don't remember when that was introduced, but it is available in Windows 10) to this end . WARNING : this may or may not cause the audio signal redirected in such fashion the be delayed (latency). This may not be significant enough to be an issue in your use case.

Here is an example of how to enable it :

a) Select the input that you want to redirect (or listen to, in Windows' parlance )

1audio.png
Filename
1audio.png
File size
24.33 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

b) access this input's properties :

2audio.png
Filename
2audio.png
File size
25.37 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

c) select the output device that you want to use, check the "Listen to this device" checkbox and click on "Apply"

3audio.png
Filename
3audio.png
File size
11.5 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 2 of 3, by Sharksppine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

Thank you for the prompt response.

The 2nd option I have already tried to no avail.

The 1st option however...talk about not seeing the woods for the trees! I connected the RCA to 3.5mm lead from the SC-55 to the Front Line In Input on my Scarlett 2i2 using a 3.5mm - 1/4 inch jack adapter and now I hear both the Midi music and the digital sound effects through my speakers.

One small issue. As the 2 Line In inputs on my Scarlett 2i2 are both mono I'm only hearing one half of SS1's glorious tunes.

Am I right in thinking if I buy a Twin RCA Jack to Twin 1/4 inch Jack lead that I can connect this from the SC-55 output to both Line In inputs on my Scarlett 2i2 and hear the music properly? With the minor added faff of keeping both Line Ins volumes on the Scarlett at the same level?

Thank you once again for any help

Reply 3 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sharksppine wrote on 2021-07-09, 08:56:
Hello […]
Show full quote

Hello

Thank you for the prompt response.

The 2nd option I have already tried to no avail.

The 1st option however...talk about not seeing the woods for the trees! I connected the RCA to 3.5mm lead from the SC-55 to the Front Line In Input on my Scarlett 2i2 using a 3.5mm - 1/4 inch jack adapter and now I hear both the Midi music and the digital sound effects through my speakers.

One small issue. As the 2 Line In inputs on my Scarlett 2i2 are both mono I'm only hearing one half of SS1's glorious tunes.

Am I right in thinking if I buy a Twin RCA Jack to Twin 1/4 inch Jack lead that I can connect this from the SC-55 output to both Line In inputs on my Scarlett 2i2 and hear the music properly? With the minor added faff of keeping both Line Ins volumes on the Scarlett at the same level?

Thank you once again for any help

What you have mentioned (using two cables instead of one) should work just fine and give you full stereo sound from the SC-55 .