VOGONS

First post, by OzzyOscy38

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My motherboard comes with ES1371/ES1373 (not a card). When playing Shadows of the Empire, for example (which reads music from the disk), there's no music. Other games and sounds are fine. Also I don't get any audio if I put a regular music CD in, though it's playing. The digital checkbox in CD music is greyed out.

The drivers I found on VOGONS require me to skip a bunch of files it can't find, the 'web' drivers cause BSOD, and I tried the driver CD there but still no music (plus the quality sucks and there's no speaker icon).

My next guess is to try the ordinary ES1371 drivers again and hopefully having the driver disk now means it won't have to skip files. Otherwise I can only Google and download more drivers.

Reply 2 of 9, by OzzyOscy38

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ydee wrote on 2021-07-10, 11:21:

I am not expert, but do You have a cable from CD drive plugged into mainboard CD-in header, if Your mobo has one?

I have the PSU plugged into the CD drive, which is connected to the board by IDE.

The motherboard is an MS-6147.

Reply 3 of 9, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OzzyOscy38 wrote on 2021-07-10, 11:11:

My motherboard comes with ES1371/ES1373 (not a card). When playing Shadows of the Empire, for example (which reads music from the disk), there's no music. Other games and sounds are fine. Also I don't get any audio if I put a regular music CD in, though it's playing. The digital checkbox in CD music is greyed out.

The drivers I found on VOGONS require me to skip a bunch of files it can't find, the 'web' drivers cause BSOD, and I tried the driver CD there but still no music (plus the quality sucks and there's no speaker icon).

My next guess is to try the ordinary ES1371 drivers again and hopefully having the driver disk now means it won't have to skip files. Otherwise I can only Google and download more drivers.

On Win98 SE you need WDM driver for your sound card in order digital audio extraction (through IDE) to work. With VXD driver you need an analog cable from your CD drive to your sound card. You can tell them apart by inspecting the extension of your main diver file. If it has . sys extension then it is a WDM driver but if it has .vxd extension then it is a vxd driver. Dxdiag can also show you what kind of driver you have.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 4 of 9, by OzzyOscy38

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-07-10, 11:37:
OzzyOscy38 wrote on 2021-07-10, 11:11:

On Win98 SE you need WDM driver for your sound card in order digital audio extraction (through IDE) to work. With VXD driver you need an analog cable from your CD drive to your sound card. You can tell them apart by inspecting the extension of your main diver file. If it has . sys extension then it is a WDM driver but if it has .vxd extension then it is a vxd driver. Dxdiag can also show you what kind of driver you have.

I will check. If I need a cable, what is the name of it that I need to get? I searched '4-pin analog' on Ebay but that's just TV stuff.

Reply 5 of 9, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here on Vogons is this picture of Your mobo, You can see two cables plugged into headers - obviously it is signed as CD (or CD-IN), AUX, TAD and sometimes could be colored. On Your CD (DVD) drive You can see AUDIO (analog and digital). Cable is plugged from the onboard CD (CD-IN) header to AUDIO (analog) CD drive connector.

Attachments

• msi.jpg
    Filename
    msi.jpg
    File size
    1.1 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 9, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OzzyOscy38 wrote on 2021-07-10, 11:42:

I will check. If I need a cable, what is the name of it that I need to get? I searched '4-pin analog' on Ebay but that's just TV stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/cd-rom-audio-cable/s?k … rom+audio+cable First three items.

Reply 7 of 9, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OzzyOscy38 wrote on 2021-07-10, 11:42:

CD audio cable?

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper