VOGONS

First post, by Kampfkoloss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

I've searched the forum but couldn't find any thread discussing my specific problem with my ESS AudioDrive 1868F. Most people use the 1868F for PCs with plain DOS but I'm on Win98SE. I have a working 1868F at hand that Win98SE recognizes automatically installing its onboard WDM-Driver. My Problem is: I can't get it to work in Win98 DOS Mode. The driver and config utilities from philscomputerlab and vogonsdrivers lock up my machine. No error message. The system just freezes. I have to do a hard reboot (CTRL-ALT-DEL) to get back to Win98.

My Specs are: P3 700 (Slot 1), Mainboard: Intel 440ZX (Aopen AX6BC-EZ) with 2 ISA16-Slots, 3dfx Voodoo3, Creative SB Live! sb0100, Promise Ultra66 (Main 40 GB HDD attached), ESS AudioDrive 1868F (no specific brand) with Wavetable-Header and IDE-Interface. OS is Windows 98 SE with unofficial SP 3 - it doesn't work with or without the USP installed so that's not the problem.

I can fall back to sb16 Emulation of my SB Live! if there's no way to get it done. But that's really not a good option. I've heard sample comparisons between ESS OPL3 clone and the sb live! - I really like how the ess sounds.

Thanks alot in advance.

kampfkoloss

Too lazy for a signature. Imagine one 😉

Reply 2 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It won't work correctly with WDM drivers, with regards to DOS games. Use VxD drivers instead.

Specifically, grab 185xw95.zip from Phil's website.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 5, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah just to be clear, with 'DOS Mode' do you mean Win98 (re)booted into DOS, or a DOS prompt? In the second case you shouldn't use any DOS drivers at all and Joseph's remark applies.
I thought you were talking about DOS 6 vs Win98's DOS 7, which shouldn't make a difference.

Reply 4 of 5, by Kampfkoloss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks for your quick replies.

I'm talking about Windows 98 booting into DOS Mode. I've already tried 185xw95.zip, as suggested by Joseph_Joestar. It gives me vxd drivers in Windows 98 including a dos prompt inside of Windows. But they don't work in 98's DOS Mode without GUI. The driver 185xdos.zip freezes the OS in DOS Mode so I am forced to do a CRTL-ALT-DEL reboot.

I'll definitely try UNISOUND first, though, as I have totally forgotten about it.

Too lazy for a signature. Imagine one 😉