VOGONS

First post, by Thorad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy ya'll, I've been tinkering with some old hardware for awhile now and have a bit of experience (namely what not to do, EX broken socket 7 board 🙁 ). I built a new system to replace my killed S7 system and am currently using the intel AL440LX board, namely for the nice on board chip and fair amount of ISA slots compared to my other slot boards. I have an OEM packard bell version of the Aztech sound galaxy 2 in the bottom ISA slot, a PCI ethernet card, USB card, and for the GPU I'm running the number nine ticket to ride revolution 3d (This computer is for VNs otherwise I would be using my MX400. Dear god this card cannot do 3d). I've run into a slight snag with the ISA soundcard in particular. To clarify I'm using two soundcards because the onboard yamaha OPL4 chip runs over PCI, and does NOT work with dos games. Only in midi. Thus I use the Yamaha chip for midi and PCM, which it is better at, and use the Aztech for FM synthesis exclusively (relying on rebooting to swtich cards). The Aztech does support PCM very very well, but has a few slipups here and there as it is ideally a win3.1 card not a win98SE card, so having both is nice. Only one problem, while playing ANY dos game and using FM synthesis the audio lags. For instance in one game moving the mouse halves the BMP of the music. I would think it was the CPU, however this board has a 300MHZ pentium 2 in it. The second suspect would be the bus clock, which is locked at 66mhz regardless. My third guess is the amount of PCI cards, and my fourth is the ISA slot being at the bottom (Although that has never been an issue before). Any other ideas as to what could be causing this audio lag? Its kind of ruining the experience. I hesistate to swap motherboards because getting this board in this case was a chore, but if it is required I can switch to an OEM 370/slot 1 tyan board I have lying around. That board is confirmed working without this issue, and the bus speed is 100mhz. Not to mention I would be stuck without any midi sampling (Bar a wav table). Advice appreciated!

Reply 2 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the BIOS has a setting to adjust the I/O recovery time and/or chipset related settings that affects the ISA bus?

On the other hand, I have a 440BX motherboard with only one ISA slot that didn't work well with any sound card and replacing it with another motherboard fixed that for me.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 4, by Thorad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-12, 20:44:

Does the BIOS has a setting to adjust the I/O recovery time and/or chipset related settings that affects the ISA bus?

On the other hand, I have a 440BX motherboard with only one ISA slot that didn't work well with any sound card and replacing it with another motherboard fixed that for me.

I'll check but due to LBA harddrive EZboot BS I may switch boards anyways