VOGONS

First post, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Almost every game I play has these awful crackling noises through the speaker. The two hit the worst are Albion and Fallout 1 though. It's an Sb16, I tried to turn off all the inputs and outputs in the mixerset but I honestly have no idea at this point. If anyone could lead me in the right direction that would be great.

Reply 1 of 8, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it may be a irq / dma sharing between your sound card and storage controllers. If your sound card has jumpers built in you can change it there or even try it through system bios.

Reply 2 of 8, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-08-10, 18:28:

it may be a irq / dma sharing between your sound card and storage controllers. If your sound card has jumpers built in you can change it there or even try it through system bios.

You would think, I've run the diagnostic and ctcu and see no issues with irq and dma sharing. Is there a command to test this as a general purpose?

Reply 4 of 8, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-08-10, 18:35:

I have too and manually reconfigured due to emi issues. Also found diagnostics to be useless.

So with no jumper options on this specific model how would I go about disabling something like high dma? I did a bit of research and found a post claiming that disabling that can fix some issues.

Edit: Because looking through my bios I'm not seeing anything.

Reply 5 of 8, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need to stop posting 🤣, I always spend tons of time just to post about my issue and fix it minutes later.

I went into ctcu and browsed all of the configurations until I found one that didn't even use the high dma. It fixed the crackling.

Thanks zapbuzz for the kick of motivation.

Reply 6 of 8, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i don't know if it is compatable with your game but windows 95 can have devices change resources but what brand is your sound card? sometimes their device configuration file has been set up with addresses within. if its creative then perhaps another sb16 card like ESS or crystal
Changing slot on motherboard can help also.

Reply 7 of 8, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried multiple slots. I dunno, just a creative ct2940. It works now but win95 is the next step in installation.

Fallout 1 also runs wonderfully on a dx4-100. I remember loading times taking a bit longer but the overall game is great. Gonna have to install win95 for f2 though as it didn't release for dos.

Reply 8 of 8, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it just seems to be an intermmittant issue thats not really software but hardware like the old circuitry is having issues suppressing EMI for you.
but I laso remember there has been other people with game glitches.
I always leave the pc idle on dos prompt 10 minutes before launching games and I have just finished recapping my yamaha soundcard. It has soundblaster support but is PCI I think PCI is more stable than ISA however I do understand many games need ISA sound but if your motherboard has PCI I think what your playing would benefit from such tech.

ISA plug and play was dubbed "plug and pray"