VOGONS

First post, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, hope you're all well.

I've read a lot of info on getting DOS sound working via PCI cards within Windows 98 on more modern boards, mostly C2D era 775. But from what I've read, a lot of this was regarding pure DOS mode, so just need some help with questions regarding emulated DOS within Windows 98.

The board I have is a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L, E2140, 512 RAM, onboard GMA 3100. I've installed Windows 98, seems stable, workable, no issues obviously no video drivers, waiting for a suitable PCI GPU so just basic VGA for now.

I have a PCI ES1371 sound card (SB 128) - I've used this card with my 478 P4PE build, no issues, works in pure DOS mode, and DOS within W98, all sound effects, I use general MIDI, all good.

I have installed this card into the 775 mobo, Windows 98 picks it up fine, I use the same drivers as I use for the 478 build, no issues, have sound in W98, works fine. Obviously due to the board being ICH7, no sound or effects in pure DOS - which I'm fine with.

The question I have, to save some time - will this card, depending on drivers of course, allow general midi and SB16 emulated sound effects for DOS gaming within W98? Reason why I ask is that I have tried DOOM, Duke3D etc etc, and I get no sound with anything. The IRQ/DMA assignment is fine, and I have even tried a mixture within the Setup of said games, in the mobo BIOS I have disabled on-board sound, USB controllers, LAN, anything that is not used. I only have options to assign IRQs to the two PCI slots, no other options available, very basic, and have tried a mixture.

I just thought I'd save some hours by asking if this is a fruitless pursuit, and just to stick to my 478 system.

Thanks!

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor

Reply 1 of 1, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, happy Friday the 13th! 😀

I'm not sure if tis helpful, but I remember tinkering with an ES1370 on a DOS/Win 3.1 PC.
PCI Sound card for Windows 3.11 & Dos 6.22?

Alternatively, if you prefer running DOS games within Win98, anyway, you can try out VDMSound for Windows 9x.
It's an Alpha version, but it may work good enough in most cases.

You can get it here: Win9x + VDMSound **ALPHA**

The normal version of VDMSound was meant to allow playing DOS games properly in the NTVDM of Windows 2000/XP.
It provided emulation for Covox Speech Thing, SB16 (+SB/PRO), OPL3 and MIDI/joystick.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDMSound

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//