VOGONS

First post, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There appears to be a parallel port dongle for almost every remotely popular synthesizer chip nowadays, but I have not seen anything based on the AY-3-8910 series, yet.
Is there nothing we can do about that?

Surely we could build a hypothetical AY-LPT just like an OPL2LPT, OPL3LPT, TNDLPT, CMSLPT, SID LPT or whatnot and put everything in a 3D-printed case, but as a wise person once put it: "Good engineering is cheap engineering."
So how exactly can we make the thing cheaper?

It occurred to me that if you solder the PCB to the DB25 connector in a slightly unorthodox way, a socketed 24-pin DIP chip like the AY-3-8913 can be squeezed into an ordinary adapter case.
This is the mockup I threw together for illustration purposes:

aylpt_mockup.jpg
Filename
aylpt_mockup.jpg
File size
81.43 KiB
Views
File comment
Simple AY-LPT mockup
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There would have to be one wire for GND, but everything else on the second row of the DB25 connector is not really needed.

The device would need power (preferably regulated 5V via USB), an audio output jack (preferably stereo) and maybe a volume wheel.
The front panel could be either printed cardboard (cheap) or maybe a thin PCB (premium).
Internally, there would have to be at least an SMD crystal oscillator and a couple of SMD resistors.

These are the configurations I can think of:

1. Unbuffered line-level output
  2. Buffered line-level output
  3. Amplified output with volume control

What are your thoughts?

Reply 1 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! This sounds fun! ^^

The rare Covox Sound Master had got an AY-3-8930 tone generator,
so even for the sake of completeness alone,
it would make sense to have got an AY dongle, too.

Covox Sound Master Reverse Engineering / Replica

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 8, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm aware of the Covox Sound Master, but I think I'll settle on a CPC-style circuit, instead. The CPCs were quite a bit more common.

cpc664_stereo_output.png
Filename
cpc664_stereo_output.png
File size
24.99 KiB
Views
File comment
Stereo output of the CPC664 (from Amstrad's schematic)
File license

In that case, the AY-chip runs at 1 MHz and a network of resistors combines the three output channels to a stereo signal.
The stereo output on the AY-LPT dongle could then either use that directly or add an emitter follower and/or single-transistor amplifier with or without volume wheel.

Reply 3 of 8, by LordMortiferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found several schematics for an AY-LPT device used for example in ZX Spectrum emulation. Maybe this is of intrest for you:

LPT-AY by Vitaly Mayatskih & Alexander Kulik
LPT-YM by Romanich
AY-LPT by Jarek Adamski for ZX Spectrum and Timex Computer
Infos by tronix286
Infos by krssh

USB-AY by tronix286 and on vcfed

Reply 5 of 8, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's been a while, but now there is some progress:

ay_lpt_compact_pcb_draft.png
Filename
ay_lpt_compact_pcb_draft.png
File size
17.91 KiB
Views
File comment
Early draft of a suitable PCB layout
File license

The design contains a micro USB socket for power, a volume wheel, a 1 MHz oscillator IC and a bunch of 100Ω resistors to limit the current flow into the AY-3-8913's input pins when the chip is not powered, but is largely compatible with the one in aylpt.txt
The socketed AY-3-8913 inside a normal parallel port dongle enclosure is going to be a tight fit, but thanks to the creative positioning of the PCB it will fit.

Reply 6 of 8, by LordMortiferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Benedik: That looks pretty cool. Using the AY-3-8913 instead of the AY-3-8910 is a good call.

I also made a AY-LPT prototype recently based on the schematics by Tronix: https://dosreloaded.de/forum/index.php?thread … rk-in-progress/

A new version (see attachement) has been ordered an should be on its way. This version can be jumpered to work either with the ZX-speccy Emulators or with some AY/YM players (at least under DOS).

Attachments

• ay-lpt5-top.png
    Filename
    ay-lpt5-top.png
    File size
    111.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 8, by LordMortiferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have build my second prototype. The oscillator circuit is a bit picky but otherwise it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JZ7SJhLblo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y09cNXOKo

I am planning one last version that can be jumpered to 2.0, 1.79 and 1.0 MHz clock input. Furthermore, there will be a simple switch to change between Modus 1 and 2 for software compatability. I also have added footprints for AY-3-8912 and AY-3-8913 chips.

@Benedikt: The AY-3-8913 has "chip select" on pin 24. This function is absent from other AY and clone chips. Can you leave that one unconnected on the PCB or do you have to control it via the LPT-port for the chip to work?

Attachments

• AY-LPT_rev5.jpg
    Filename
    AY-LPT_rev5.jpg
    File size
    149.99 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LordMortiferus wrote on 2023-02-21, 14:39:

@Benedikt: The AY-3-8913 has "chip select" on pin 24. This function is absent from other AY and clone chips. Can you leave that one unconnected on the PCB or do you have to control it via the LPT-port for the chip to work?

The chip only responds to CPU access when pin 24 is low. The datasheet claims that the pin has an internal pull-down resistor, so that if you leave it unconnected, it will always be low. So, leaving the pin unconnected is fine.