VOGONS

First post, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am trying to run this sound card in CMS mode. I disconnected the jumper responsible for turning the CMS on / off and removed the FM chip. Creative CMS Music Player claims that the CMS card is not present in the system and monkey island and prince of persia are missing music. The system is aopen ax6bc and pentium 3 550

Attachments

• 20210909_185835.jpg
    Filename
    20210909_185835.jpg
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 12, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dulu wrote on 2021-09-27, 14:41:

I am trying to run this sound card in CMS mode. I disconnected the jumper responsible for turning the CMS on / off and removed the FM chip. Creative CMS Music Player claims that the CMS card is not present in the system and monkey island and prince of persia are missing music. The system is aopen ax6bc and pentium 3 550

1) This machine is way too fast for this card. Like WAY too fast.
2) PSU may miss the -5V which this card requires - especially if you used more recent ATX PSU.

Re-test on something more adequate for this card - like 386DX40 or some 286 system.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 2 of 12, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have -5v - all works fine except cms. This guy use pIII-500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcQLWNmVhqU&t=33s

I tried to lower cpu clock by setting 100x1,5 but with no effect - settings back to 500mhz

Reply 3 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dulu wrote on 2021-09-27, 15:38:

i have -5v - all works fine except cms. This guy use pIII-500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcQLWNmVhqU&t=33s

I tried to lower cpu clock by setting 100x1,5 but with no effect - settings back to 500mhz

But what exact motherboard is the person from that YouTube video using?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 12, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i tried with celeron 333MHZ with disabled cache - no results. Tried to run "the dagger of amon ra" (one of the latest game with cms support) - unable to detect. I also tried to check contact between chips and solder - all ok.
Messeage from CMS player

Attachments

• 20210927_171137.jpg
    Filename
    20210927_171137.jpg
    File size
    1.24 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reason I asked is because it seems like some industrial boards don't seem to have the issue when using a fast CPU that standard consumer setups have.

I need to reverify but I am pretty sure my Pentium 4 3.2Ghz PIAGP industrial setup doesn't have the issue that normal systems over 133Mhz have with some older sound cards.

Since I actually have that system out because I was testing some AGP video cards I should go ahead and run some tests after I have a couple other projects I am working on finished up.

Also, does the card work properly as a regular Sound Blaster 2.0? What about FM with the OPL2 chip installed?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 12, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're trying to use the C/MS version of CMSDRV, which doesn't work with Sound Blaster.
Use this one instead - http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=3 … menustate=45,38

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 10 of 12, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think so...
CMSDRV/SBC-CMS is necessary for that .CMS files player from Creative, maybe for something else...
But the games I tried (eg. Silpheed) don't need CMSDRV/SBC-CMS.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 12 of 12, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First, SB with CMS chips isn't 100% compatible with the real Creative Music System a.k.a. Game Blaster.
A game that tries to detect the Game Blaster will fail on a Sound Blaster, and the only workaround is to patch the game to bypass the detection routine.

Second, the games with CMS support are from late 80s to early 90s, it's normal for them to exhibit problems on late 90s hardware.
If the Creative C/MS Music Player works, then the card is OK, and the problem must be in the other software.

Prince of Persia is known to have buggy CMS support - https://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/08/ … sound-card.html