VOGONS

First post, by lowlytech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was someone here that had wrote a small program to reset the FM/OPL of your sound card if it got stuck after exiting a game. Can anyone repost it here or link to the original post? I have looked all night here and can't find it after googling and browsing through posts here.

Thanks in advance guys..

Reply 1 of 6, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's small prog I did write back then in 90'ties for use with my ess1868.
It's hardcoded for port address 220h, I didn't need any flexibility back then. Edit the asm and recompile with TASM if your setup differs 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    nosound.zip
    File size
    597 Bytes
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 6, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The title has OPL3 mentioned, and es1868 has fully compatible implementation onboard. The app should work with any opl3-enabled card.
The port 388h is the Adlib port, not OPL3. The card with OPL3 will also respond on that port for compatibility reasons, but that's not the primary port to access all the registers of OPL3.
If you need to stop specifically Adlib - the app has to be altered. But if you do have a card with OPL3-based FM synth, this app will work.

Reply 5 of 6, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vstrakh wrote on 2021-10-01, 17:35:

The port 388h is the Adlib port, not OPL3. The card with OPL3 will also respond on that port for compatibility reasons, but that's not the primary port to access all the registers of OPL3.

That's not quite accurate. The standard, since before Creative Labs knew what an OPL3 was, was to have YM3812 (OPL2) on 388/389H and OPL3 on 388-38BH. It was only Creative that decided to expose OPL3 functionality in the 220H port range, with 38A/38BH listed as "reserved".

For most cards that offer Sound Blaster Pro compatibility with an on-board OPL3 (or compatible), it makes little difference, as they will offer full access at both port ranges. For older Creative cards only, it is not clear that every model and revision allowed full access at 388-38BH.

In this case, since the card in question is a Creative card, it isn't important; the tool should work as designed. However, that doesn't mean that it will for every card with an OPL3 on-board.

Reply 6 of 6, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I didn't had access to the variety of sound hardware. ES1868 was my first and only ISA sound card, and I had a generic desktop motherboard without onboard peripherals.
I simply didn't know and couldn't care less 😀
But it's good to remember there are always details you missed, thanks for pointing out.

Btw, dual OPL2 cards that expose two chips at 220h-223h also should be supported as well, there are required i/o delays.