VOGONS

First post, by amars464

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, I've been looking around here for a while, but I keep hitting a wall on the best way to set up my sound for this machine I'm building. First of all my specs are:
Pentium III 1Ghz CPU
1.0 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 7000 GPU
SB Live SB0100
EPOX CU-133A Motherboard
Windows 98 Second Edition

I've tried a bunch of different driver installs, and I keep running into the same issues when it comes to using the MIDI out to hook up a Roland SC-55. I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Generally speaking if I install a working copy of the VxD Drivers I'll be able listen to MIDI files in Windows Media Player through the Sound Canvas, and SB16 Emulation works fine with games like Duke Nukem II, but if I try to play games that can take advantage of the SC-55 like Doom or Duke Nukem 3D it ends up using the SB Live's MIDI Synth instead. I told it to use the SB Live MIDI Out in the Multimedia settings properly. If I install the WDM drivers then games like Doom and Duke 3D will play MIDI through the SC-55, but the digital sound lags a ton (sometimes it even breaks entirely during a game) and I lose SB16 Emulation entirely.

I'm doing this entirely through Windows btw. I wanted to get this working right before I started messing around with DOS stuff. Anyone have any ideas on what the best way to set myself up would be? Or am I just stuck between a rock and a hard place with my drivers?

Reply 1 of 2, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure how to change it with stock drivers. But I have a Win98 machine I havs an SB 0100 I've upgraded to an Audigy and an Aureal 2 MX-300.

Both soundcards are using VXD drivers and the Aureal app lets you select the DOS MIDI output so I can switch between the SB, or Aureal wavetables or the Live Drivers MIDI output to user an external module.

So what you want is possible, I'm not sure if it's just a Windows setting or a redirect able MIDI port.

Reply 2 of 2, by amars464

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ended up finding the WDM drivers in this thread: How to get Sound Blaster Emulation in Win9X/ME via live!5.1 with newer-current mobo's (no nmi-ddma)
They fix the laggy sound issues that previous WDM drivers gave me, while still allowing me to pipe the MIDI through the SC-55. It's at least a step in the right direction. I still don't seem to have any emulated FM Synth tough.

**EDIT**
Okay so I think this solution is kind of clunky, so I'm still welcome to anyone coming in and telling me that I'm flat wrong, or give me a better idea of what to do. Basically I put the WDM drivers above, and the VxD Drivers from philscomputerlab (https://www.philscomputerlab.com/sound-blaster-live.html) both on my C drive in different folders. Then I just use the Update Drivers button in Device Manager and choose the folder I want at the time. So if I'm playing something with FM Synth, or a native Win9x application then I point it to the VxD drivers, and if I'm playing a DOS game that uses the SC-55 then I point it to the WDM drivers. At the very least it seems like nothing is totally broken with that solution so far, but it's definitely not very elegant.