User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
georgel wrote on 2021-11-25, 04:07:
trozx wrote on 2021-11-25, 00:00:
Nice catch! Thanks! […]
Show full quote
Cloudschatze wrote on 2021-11-24, 15:59:

Assuming the card-in-question lacks an ASP/CSP chip, are the IFSD and APSD jumpers appropriately closed?

Nice catch! Thanks!

I didn't consider that a possibility since the jumper pins for those settings are missing - but so is the ASP/CSP chip...

I quickly jumpered the vias with solder blobs and digital sound is restored. Sweet!

I'll probably add proper jumper pins at some point.

The jumper pins are called header. Are you sure that was missing and not only the junmpers themselves? So I was right and your claim "not my first rodeo" was a bit of a self-confident.

Yes, the pin headers are missing. Yes, the card was defective; an IC had been removed. Apparently the CT2700 has a permanently soldered ASP/CSP vs a socketable option. So, there are no need for those headers.

Look here:

ct2700.jpg
Filename
ct2700.jpg
File size
544 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 21 of 25, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad to hear it is working now.
But i will take the blame here, since the ASP chip was removed by me and apparently my test after that was inconclusive - i guess I heard the card buzzing and assumed mission accomplished, instead of thinking it through. This was my goto test card that was frequently used which gave me sense of confidence that everything is at 100%.
It served me well, hope it does the same for you.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 24 of 25, by trozx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pshipkov wrote on 2021-11-25, 21:11:

For an earing.

No, not really.
Thinning the herd and this ASP chip had to jump between cards.

This is hilarious! 😂

Entertainment and a free (working) sound card.

Y'all have a good Thanksgiving!