VOGONS

First post, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been trying to get an ISA soundcard working on my KT133A-based QDI Kinetiz 7E, which has an Athlon XP 2800+.

No matter which ISA soundcard I use I get the following error in win98 :

isafail.png
Filename
isafail.png
File size
18.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

"This device is not working properly because the BIOS in the device is reporting the resources for the device incorrectly (Code 9.). Contact the manufacturer to get an updated BIOS for your device."

This happens on both soundcards I've tried - a CS4237-based one and an Ensoniq Soundscape OPUS.

Things I've tried :

• Updating motherboard BIOS (it was already latest, same error). (EDIT : tried some older BIOSes, same result)
  • Disabling all unused hardware/ports/etc in BIOS and removing all hardware except graphics card (same error)
  • Trying a few different AGP/PCI graphics cards in case it's a conflict there (same error)
  • Enabling/Disabling ACPI, reinstalling windows each time (same error)
  • Enabling/Disabling "PNP OS Installed" in BIOS with ACPI disabled, reinstalling windows each time (same error)
  • Trying various versions of the Via 4-in-1 chipset drivers (same error)
  • Trying several versions of soundcard drivers (same error)
  • Manually adding the soundcard in Add New Hardware so the "resources" tab appears - on next reboot I get two soundcards in device manager (both not working)
  • Trying on Win95 instead (similar error, forget exact text)
  • Trying DOS and even Windows XP instead of 9x on same motherboard (works perfectly)
  • Testing both soundcards in other PCs with Win9x (works perfectly)

I'm now at a bit of a loss for things to try. I'd appreciate some pointers to diagnose this problem, I have no idea how to debug plugnplay stuff.

I notice in msinfo32 it mentions "forced resources" but I have no "resources" tab in device manager, can I somehow manually override what Windows has detected?

I've attached the msinfo32 log in case that helps.

Attachments

• Filename
    isafail.TXT
    File size
    191.84 KiB
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by rasteri on 2021-12-14, 12:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That looks like an interesting problem. If we can start with the CS4237, it looks like those are not the ideal drivers for the device. Start by getting gerwin's Crystal driver bundle, then update the drivers to those in the CWD-v286 sub-directory of the bundle and see if that makes any difference. There are other trouble-shooting steps we can try, but we might as well start with the simplest one.

Whether this works or not, it might be useful to see the page from at least one of the devices, listing the installed driver files after you attempt the update.

Reply 2 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check if your VIA 4-in-1 chipset drivers are installed correctly.

If so, try using a different chipset driver version. For me, v4.43 worked best on my KT133A motherboard.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once upon a time I had a mysterious conflict between Crystal CX4237B and S3 Trio64V+...
mysterious, because Device Manager wasn't able to tell which component is guilty.
It turned out that S3 drivers don't report all the I/O ports used to the system.

But if you've tried with various graphics cards, then the problem is probably somewhere else...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 7, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've changed the CS4237 to use v286, same error. You can see the driver versions in the attached msinfo, and I've attached screenshots of the driver panels.

I was on v4.43 of the 4-in-1 drivers. I've since tried 4.35 and Hyperion 4.56, same error.

(EDIT : I've also tried several versions of the Soundscape drivers, including one from 1996 that isn't available anywhere online AFAICT, I should upload it)

Attachments

• Filename
    isafail2.TXT
    File size
    206.73 KiB
    Downloads
    34 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • isafail2.jpg
    Filename
    isafail2.jpg
    File size
    104 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • isafail3.jpg
    Filename
    isafail3.jpg
    File size
    102.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 7, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the soundcard being recognized by the PNP bios? (See boot screen, you can use it by pressing pause during startup - should show the assigned IRQ as well)
Which other PCI cards do you have installed? (I remember me having issues when a USB 2.0 controller card was present on a via chipset which was very recource hungry). But as within windows XP everything works fine I assume it's a resource conflict / driver issue. Very strange behavior, indeed.

Reply 6 of 7, by rasteri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2021-12-28, 14:39:

Is the soundcard being recognized by the PNP bios? (See boot screen, you can use it by pressing pause during startup - should show the assigned IRQ as well)
Which other PCI cards do you have installed? (I remember me having issues when a USB 2.0 controller card was present on a via chipset which was very recource hungry). But as within windows XP everything works fine I assume it's a resource conflict / driver issue. Very strange behavior, indeed.

If I turn off the "PnP aware OS" (or whatever the exact wording is) then yes the card is detected during startup and seems to have the correct IRQ/DMAs assigned.

I have no other PCI cards installed, and literally every other component than the IDE controller is disabled in the BIOS (and I've even tried disabling the secondary IDE channel).

Really I want to know if there's a way to debug or force Windows' resource assignment - I'm happy going into low level stuff and can code, I just need a hint of where to start or what tools to use (I haven't done much windows 98 development)

Reply 7 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Choose properties on the Computer itself in device manager, it will bring up resource reservations and lists used resources etc.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜