VOGONS

First post, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would like to use the AWE64 Gold for dos games, and the Live! 1024 (model no CT4830) for Windows 98 games. So is it possible to have them both plugged in and working at the same time?

Also, does anyone know if there are steps to get the Live! 1024 working besides installing the driver? I tried installing this driver from Vogons, but got no sound or music whatsoever.

Reply 3 of 8, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool, then I shall keep trying different drivers and stuff.

This is something wholly different, but does anyone know a good solution to backup the base install of Windows 98 SE? I've reinstalled a couple of times because it's a pain to uninstall drivers completely, it always leaves some files here and there. It would be super neat if I could copy the whole installation right after installing and put it back if I install a wrong driver. I don't think Windows 98 SE has restore points, right?

Reply 4 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JustRob wrote on 2021-12-11, 22:25:

Cool, then I shall keep trying different drivers and stuff.

This is something wholly different, but does anyone know a good solution to backup the base install of Windows 98 SE? I've reinstalled a couple of times because it's a pain to uninstall drivers completely, it always leaves some files here and there. It would be super neat if I could copy the whole installation right after installing and put it back if I install a wrong driver. I don't think Windows 98 SE has restore points, right?

Image the drive/partition with something like Clonezilla or Acronis TrueImage or Norton Ghost or PowerQuest Drive Image. The first one is free, the other ones are commercial products.

Reply 6 of 8, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Absolutely, that's exactly what I used to do with the 98 rig in my sig before I swapped the Live out for an Audigy2 ZS.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 7 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JustRob wrote on 2021-12-11, 15:43:

I would like to use the AWE64 Gold for dos games, and the Live! 1024 (model no CT4830) for Windows 98 games. So is it possible to have them both plugged in and working at the same time?

It is, but why bother having both working at same time? WIth an AWE64 Gold, there's no reason to use the Live in DOS, so just initialize the AWE and don't bother with the Live, conversely there's little to no added value for the AWE64 in WIn98, although you might as well install drivers, just use the Live as primary output.

Also, does anyone know if there are steps to get the Live! 1024 working besides installing the driver? I tried installing this driver from Vogons, but got no sound or music whatsoever.

No sound or music *where* exactly?

- which "Windows 98"
- what does the rest of the system look like? Motherboard and CPU?
- native Windows 32b games
- DOS games under Windows

Generally .VXD drivers are recommended over .WDM for Windows 98SE (WDM is completely unsupported in 98FE), unless you're running on very new hardware, in which case the .VXD soundblaster 16 emulation may fail and you need .WDM after all. Also, drivers in native DOS are a completely different ballgame to running DOS games under Windows. Personally I always do native DOS, but both can work, you just need to know which you are doing and what you need.

Reply 8 of 8, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, yeah, that's what I meant. I didn't put anything about the Live! card in my autoexec, so that shouldn't get initialized in dos.

I also got the Live! card to work by using a driver CD from Archive.org, so that works fine now.