VOGONS

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was lucky enough to come across an ASP chip on ebay and bought it. I know it does little to nothing but it's not totally worthless and is a piece of history so why not.

From my understanding it has half-working QSound (re: TheMan), text to speech, 1 video game that supports it and possibly more. But before I dig into all that, is there any simple diagnostic method of merely detecting it and checking that it works? I want to make sure I didn't get a busted unit. Is there anything in the DOS drivers or elsewhere I can use to see if it's working if before and after installing it? Thanks.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 1 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cloudschatze found that the ASP/CSP chip could reduce CPU load on low-end machines under certain conditions: "Accelerating" Windows 95 with Creative's Advanced Signal Processor (CSP)

Maybe that can be used as a basic test.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 4, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is really cool! The only issue is he's doing this test on a 25MHz 386, where the benefits seem to be quite profound. I have my SB16 installed on a P133. I suspect the load is going to be below 10% even running off the CPU so it may be below the noise threshold and prevent me from noticing a change. I can try it anyway... can't hurt. I find the tech talk a little bit above me though. He seems to be saying you need to have 2 files in your (system?) directory to make this work and then you need to take a wave file at a certain sample rate and compress it into ADPCM at a lower bitrate... I really don't know how to do this the way he's describing but maybe it's not so hard with the right software.

Also if I'm reading it right, I think he's talking about games like Duke Nukem II because I think it has ADPCM compressed sound or something. Doom or the likes wouldn't benefit from this chip right? I have an ESS AudioDrive with full OPL3 emulation and it says it also does this sort of decompression in hardware, so is the ASP chip essentially redundant to these other clones?

Actually maybe I stumbled upon the answer... back to Duke2, am I right that it will only play on hardware that supports ADPCM compressed audio? If that's true then it should only play on the likes of the ESS that have that feature. It should not play on a normal SB16 right? But if I put the ASP chip in there, will it suddenly work in that game?

Reply 3 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gahhhrrrlic wrote on 2021-12-20, 19:20:

Actually maybe I stumbled upon the answer... back to Duke2, am I right that it will only play on hardware that supports ADPCM compressed audio?

Duke2 does require ADPCM support for playing all digitized sounds correctly, but it doesn't need the ASP/CSP chip itself. It works fine on my Vibra16 and my AWE64, neither of which have the chip.

I'm not too familiar with what that chip does and don't own a sound card which has it, but I don't think it's needed for basic ADPCM functionality.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 4, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh. Because Phil did a video on the ESS Audiodrive and showed how Duke 2 wouldn't work on another card....I think it was a Yamaha?