VOGONS

First post, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GUS ACE rev 1.0 has reversed stereo. The GUS sound channels are swapped but the Sound Blaster connected to the GUS ACE line in functions normally. But if you connect GUS ACE to speakers with reversed cable, then Sound Blaster channels are reversed and you need another reversed cable to conned the SB to GUS line in.

So the stereo issue can be fixed with proper cables but it is also possible to fix the card. Note that GUS ACE rev 1.1 does not need the mod. It does not have reversed stereo issue and needs no fix.

I tried to make the instructions as easy as possible and here they are:

Instructions_small.jpg
Filename
Instructions_small.jpg
File size
391.65 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here is the same picture in higher res.
Here is picture before cutting the traces.
And after soldering wires.

I also recapped the card. This is unrelated to the fix and was unnecessary since I cannot hear any difference. But the old black Nichicon caps are now replaced with new golden Nichicons.

Reply 2 of 15, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote on 2022-01-04, 22:29:

Yes interesting...this a fake, right?
You ruined the card to avoid to modify 2 50 cent cables..?
Hope nobody else will do this.

This is done to avoid using RCA adapter cables for channel swapping because while being using said adapters is a much simpler solution it's a bit cumbersome due to cable clutter. A similar mod was also done to a Audician 32 sound card to fix the Wavetable reverse stereo.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 15, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What do you say to people with Voodoo5 6000s who had them reworked to fix the stability issues? ...

Reply 4 of 15, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Such a fix is also done on Roland SCB-55 Rev00 sound daughterboards, even officially by Roland themselves in some cases. I see no problem with this fix.

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 5 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RichB93 wrote on 2022-01-08, 19:05:

What do you say to people with Voodoo5 6000s who had them reworked to fix the stability issues? ...

In the case of the Voodoo 5 6000s, AFAIK (please correct me if wrong), there or no non-invasive possible alternatives to reworking in order to address the stability issues .

In the case of the GUS ACE there are non-invasive alternatives .

That being said, modifying one's hardware to resolve an issue, whatever the alternatives may be, is certainly not prohibited. In this case the mod is easily reversible anyway and no functionality is lost . To be extra pedantic, one might additionally consider using DIP switches or jumpers to allow selectively reverting behavior to pre-modification state .

Just my 2 cents worth of an opinion .

Reply 7 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see no problem doing such stuff and especially on things I will never sell anyway, but I can see how some people will think this will bring down value of their (currently)(really) expensive card(s).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 15, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My first thoughts too 🙁

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow.. what a bunch of haters in this thread.

You all would take out torches and pitchforks if you knew what I did to hardware and cases when they were new-ish.

I had an old XT/AT desktop style case that I used for a while that I cut fan holes in so I could actually have enough airflow through it to be usable.

Back then I modded pretty much every case I had for better airflow and to add fans.

I'm with Tiido. The owner is free to do whatever they want with their hardware.

The card isn't ruined.. just basically turned into a v1.1 card unless there are other differences as well. If the user isn't planning on selling it, then who cares? They didn't "ruin" a card that belongs to you so go away and find something else better to do than act like a Karen.

What is wrong with fixing issues with hardware? If I have caps go bad one something , would you considered it ruined if I didn't replace them with the same exact brand/model the card originally had?

What about a rare system that had a crappy power supply that died and was beyond repair? Would you cry foul if I didn't replace it with the same exact PSU?

I had a 7900GS that I did a voltmod on and overclocked it by 50%. I also added a ginormous heatsink to it. It lasted a whole year before it died.

I trashed a full tower MCA bus PS/2 system because I had no documentation at the time and couldn't get it running.

Pretty sure I threw away an ISA ARPA PC Stereo board back in the day because I couldn't find any information about it at all.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote on 2022-01-09, 00:36:

So I'm a hater now because I don't like a fix like that?! 🤣 I'm sure not gonna do it on my card...

You posted as I was writing my post.

Some people were coming across as jerks... they know who they are.

Great way to insure that the OP abandons this site or just never posts again.

Now, ruining stuff like TrevorMacro did to the V5-6000 cards... that is the kind of thing that angers me.

Not an actual hardware bug fix such as this.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 15, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-01-09, 02:03:

Not an actual hardware bug fix such as this.

There are people who think that doing board rework to fix issues (as is done correctly here) is "ruining" a board.

These opinions are problematic, because what do you do with faulty hardware? Not replace caps or fix other things that have broken with time? Eventually it will be very hard to find things in their original condition as things tend to fail over time.

Last edited by furan on 2022-01-09, 05:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote on 2022-01-08, 20:25:

Easily reversible? No, traces are cut and there is no way back.

I wouldnt buy such a ruined card.

I should have specified that I meant that one can always reconnect things as they were using wires to regain original functionality . I don't expect cut traces to somehow be uncut through magic or time travel .

If I owned a GUS Ace, I would not modify it in such a way, but the OP's card is his to do with as he pleases .

That said, OP modified it in a way that technically resolves an issue, is functionally reversible (if not reversible in absolute terms), could potentially be improved upon if desired (jumpers or DIP switches) and likely satisfies OP's needs (most important).

The 3 most important points are :

a) The card has NOT been made unusable/crippled and going back to factory functionality is possible
b) OP is not currently selling the card and if he ever did, it would be fine as long as the mod is disclosed before anyone agrees to buy said card
c) Nobody will ever force you (or anyone else) to buy it.

Reply 15 of 15, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What..hater? When I hate sombody it sounds quite different.

Its of course your choice what you do with your own card. You are also free to overpaint your Picasso to adapt it to your current taste.

You cannot compare this to a repair to make a card working again or a exchange of caps.
This modification is totally unnecessary to get full functionality as I can be done with a simple cable adapter without ruining the card.