VOGONS

First post, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently purchased in inexpensive Yamaha ymf744b-r PCI sound card on Ebay manufactured by PowerData because I wanted to test the XG midi capabilities of the card. It arrived and works great, but it only has a single header on the card which I can't identify. It looks similar to a Sony Optical Connector but the keying on the bottom of the header is slightly different, not quite as wide as a Sony connector. I've attached a picture of the header, any help identifying what it is would be appreciated!

Attachments

• odd_header.png
    Filename
    odd_header.png
    File size
    507.03 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Odd Header
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems fairly clearly connected to that chip on bottom right, but can't read part number fully. If you could get better shot of that it might give us more clues. Not getting anything off the partial number.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 16, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking at this data sheet for the STAC9700T: https://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/-5749582026796894052
it appears that 3 of the pins that you can trace all the way through are connect to CD left, CD right and CD Ground. At last if I'm reading it correctly that is, if true that does make sense that it is an audio connector for a CDROM.

Reply 5 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes if a connector doesn’t fit but has the same pinout and pins and footprint you can pop off the plastic part and push on the plastic part that you need. I recently did this on a kingsten cpu upgrade interposer that had a almost floppy connector but not quite a floppy connector.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 16, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to post this here in case it helps someone else. I wasn't able to find any information this particular connector, so I'm just figuring that it was a propriety connector. I also wasn't able to find anything about the card's manufacturer PowerData. That being said Bitwrangler's suggestion to look at the traces between the connector and the nearby chip confirmed it was a cdrom audio connector. A look at the vogons cdrom audio connector wiki (https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/CD_audio_connectors) indicated that the pattern was the same as a mpc-2 connector (Right Ground Ground Left). I ended up just ordering an mpc-2 to mpc-2 cable off ebay, then just cut off the clip and little plastic nubs on the bottom.

file.php?mode=view&id=129443

After that a little hot glue to hold it in place and good to go!

file.php?mode=view&id=129444

Tested with mechwarrior 2 to confirm cd audio and no issue.

Attachments

• glue.png
    Filename
    glue.png
    File size
    295.12 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    glue
    File license
    Public domain
  • clipless.png
    Filename
    clipless.png
    File size
    168.08 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    clipless
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 16, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you can pull the plastic off and push on any connector you want onto the pins so long as it's the same pin size and spacing

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 10 of 16, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How does the XG MIDI on that card sound? It looks like a good, basic XG card for MIDI listening, though absolutely worthless for creation. It also has Sensaura 3D, so it should be interesting to test that out with some good headphones.

Reply 11 of 16, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arianon wrote on 2022-02-02, 05:19:
Just wanted to post this here in case it helps someone else. I wasn't able to find any information this particular connector, so […]
Show full quote

Just wanted to post this here in case it helps someone else. I wasn't able to find any information this particular connector, so I'm just figuring that it was a propriety connector. I also wasn't able to find anything about the card's manufacturer PowerData. That being said Bitwrangler's suggestion to look at the traces between the connector and the nearby chip confirmed it was a cdrom audio connector. A look at the vogons cdrom audio connector wiki (https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/CD_audio_connectors) indicated that the pattern was the same as a mpc-2 connector (Right Ground Ground Left). I ended up just ordering an mpc-2 to mpc-2 cable off ebay, then just cut off the clip and little plastic nubs on the bottom.

file.php?mode=view&id=129443

After that a little hot glue to hold it in place and good to go!

file.php?mode=view&id=129444

Tested with mechwarrior 2 to confirm cd audio and no issue.

Do you have CD audio on both channels? The white header the card uses tends to indicate the R-G-L-G pin assignment, though this is not always the case.

I had similar sound cards with similar headers before, but with MPC-2 cables as-is (R-G-G-L) only one channel worked. I have to move the left channel wire (the white one) to match R-G-L-G pin assignment to get both channels working.

Reply 13 of 16, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

RetroGamer4Ever - It sounds pretty good! I don't think it is as good as a stand alone Yamaha XG midi device, but I bought it to use while playing Final Fantasy VII in place of the software XG synthesizer that comes with the game. It has done a great job there.

LS10999 - I must have gotten lucky, I traced the pinouts and the inner two pins were connected to CD Ground and ended before reaching a pin. I popped in a Stereo audio CD and was able to get both right and left channels, so no issues fortunately. Definitely got worried after reading your post!

I don't have a multimeter handy, but I'll try to get my hands on one for testing.

Reply 14 of 16, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can buy the absolute cheapest you can find. The most important feature is the little diode or speaker symbol that will allow the multimeter to beep when touching the probes together. This allows you to trace the path of a circuit.

It's also possible to do this by reading resistance but having it beep at you is a lot more convenient since you don't have to take your eyes off of the board to read a display.

Reply 15 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do Harbor Freight still give them away free with purchase as a promo from time to time? A few other places I've hung out on the web have reckoned those ones are fine for rudimentary troubleshooting on cars and computers.

edit: I seem to recall their regular permanently on sale price was only $4.97 or something if you didn't wanna buy $20 of stuff you'd use anyway (IDK, oil washer fluid etc)

Edit2: Oh inflation, yeek! They're 6.99 now and I guess no longer yellow since Fluke started suing anyone else for making yellow multimeters.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 16 of 16, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a bunch of Harbor Freight multimeters from when they were on sale for free with some other purchase. I used to go to the store and buy a 50 cent extending blade cutter just for the free multimeter. They haven't had any good coupons since Covid started. I used to get all of my batteries from them using a similar promotion but I haven't seen one in months. Nitrile gloves are also very expensive now, if they have any in stock at all.

Here is a photo of my favorite multimeter I got off of eBay. I like it because of how small it is. The LCD is a good size and it also has a diode setting. The only issue is that it doesn't automatically shut off and will drain the battery if you forget to turn it off.

IMG_20220206_005816_resize_42.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220206_005816_resize_42.jpg
File size
188.59 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0