VOGONS

First post, by Doigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I recently bought these speakers and they are missing the power supply. Does anyone know what specs can be used as an modern replacement?

Polarity, wattage and amparage, any tips? Never done an replacement like this before and the only info is 12V DC.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try the EFISH DC 12V 2A 24W, its a 12v psu with only 24 Watt and plenty headconnectors to try. It shouldnt break the speakers.
You can get it from Amazon and refund in the case it wont work.

If youre from the US Belker offers something similar for US Customers Try "12v dc power supply" Amazon Search and then watch for Belker

Reply 2 of 7, by Doigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-02-21, 09:11:

Try the EFISH DC 12V 2A 24W, its a 12v psu with only 24 Watt and plenty headconnectors to try. It shouldnt break the speakers.

If youre from the US Belker offers something similar for US Customers Try "12v dc power supply" Amazon Search and then watch for Belker

Thank you so much for the tip! Ordering right now ✌️🙂

Reply 3 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you need to know the polarity first, reverse polarity will most likely destroy something.

If you can show photos the PCB inside one of the speakers I can probaby tell what polarity will be necessary.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 7, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2022-02-21, 22:54:

you need to know the polarity first, reverse polarity will most likely destroy something.

If you can show photos the PCB inside one of the speakers I can probaby tell what polarity will be necessary.

That looks like standard 12v DC...isnt it standarized since the 70s?

Reply 5 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are center negative and center positive connections. Nowdays center positive is most common but in past in certainly wasn't the case and when no markings exist one really has to make sure what one needs. Reverse polarity almost always causes destruction of some sort.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 7, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doigan wrote on 2022-02-21, 18:09:
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-02-21, 09:11:

Thank you so much for the tip! Ordering right now ✌️🙂

Any news?

Reply 7 of 7, by LordMortiferus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have similar IBM speakers (connectors on the back are alligned vertical instead of horizontal). Mine are positive center and I use a 12V 500mA PSU. However, meassuring >16V, I probably should replace the PSU.

Attachments