VOGONS

First post, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I am having some audio issues on Laser Squad on a 486 Cyrix PC. Tested both Orpheus and SB 64 AWE Gold sound card.

On both cards I am using UNISOUND 0.77 in autoexec.bat and SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 setting. UNISOUND detects both cards correctly with no error messages.

1. On both cards, the Sound Blaster support in the game is not working. If I start with LASER.EXE, and then choose Sound Blaster as audio device, the game returns to DOS saying Sound Blaster was not detected.

If I explicitly start the game with the cmdline options /SA220 /SI5 (might slightly misremember the actual chars that it uses) to explicitly choose the IO port and IRQ address, the game also aborts with an error.

Running with Adlib as the sound device instead does work on both cards.

2. However on Orpheus, I have two issues with Adlib:

a) the sound is crackling. It does not seem to be a too loud volume mixing issue, but something else. On SB AWE64 Gold, this crackling is not present.
b) after playing the game for some 10-20 minutes with Orpheus, I got a half a second crackling/pop audio glitch, and then the game audio went mute altogether after that.

I don't mind which sound card I'd use to play this, but I find it curious that Sound Blaster audio setting is not working with either card. Now I wonder what might be going wrong here.. Any clues?

I'll try testing other games / audio player test apps to double check whether the work in SB mode, though wanted to ask if there are some known issues with Laser Squad that I should be aware of? Google search was not able to produce much help.

Reply 2 of 3, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion. No luck unfortunately. Tried some different variants

set BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 (this should be the right settings for my card)
set BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T4
set BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
set BLASTER=A220 I5 D1

Sound Blaster does work ok in other programs I have installed so far, Scream Tracker 3.21 and Pinball Fantasies.

Reply 3 of 3, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you describe the system and your software setup in a little more detail? In particular, does it have a Plug and Play BIOS? It would also be helpful to see the actual lines you use when invoking UNISOUND, and in what order the commands are issued.

For the sake of completeness, can you post the output of UNISOUND /cl as well as UNISOUND /cx /r, where x is the number of each sound card in the system? It sounds like there is a non-obvious conflict of some sort. If that is the only software that doesn't work, then it could be a driver bug in the game, or a timing problem on your particular system (patches for Cyrix systems used to be fairly common).