VOGONS

First post, by B. Blaze

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Toshiba Satellite 335CDT and am having an odd bug with Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny with initializing Digital Sounds. When running them from Boot, I get everything except Digital Sounds. If I run Quake first, then I get Full Sound. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reply 3 of 5, by acadiel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
B. Blaze wrote on 2022-03-10, 17:12:

Any idea on how to get them to initialize the driver without needing to run Quake first?

It could very well be that the other games are not initializing the sound correctly because they expect different default settings per @alexanrs

You need to:
1) Get into your BIOS and disable your printer (LPT1) port, which uses IRQ7 (change it to "Not Used.") This is through the TSETUP utility or by hitting ESCAPE and F1 at the boot splash screen.
2) While in the BIOS, change your sound card setting to the one that @alexanrs mentioned:

• WSS I/O to 530
    SBPro I/O to 220
    IRQ to 7
    WSS (Play) DMA to 0
    WSS (Req) and SBPro DMA to 1

3) Save on the BIOS screen (press END and say "Y"es)
4) Boot back into Windows
5) Edit your C:\WINDOWS\AUTOEXEC.BAT or C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT file and change the SET BLASTER line to: SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 P330 T6
6) Make sure SETUPSA /S is in the C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT

Now, when you boot into DOS mode, you will see:

WSS Base:0x530 IRQ: 7 PDRQ:0 CDRQ:0
SB Base: 0x220 IRQ:7 DMA:1
MPU Base: 0x330 IRQ:7
ADLIB Base:0x388 CTRL Base: 0x370

Configuration is correctly finished!!

If you get games that aren't working with sound, make sure your BLASTER variable is correct, try other games to initialize the sound card, or try different settings for the sound card. If you adjust the settings in BIOS, I've found that the Windows settings will change automatically, so really, you only will be having to change it in two places: the BIOS, and the SET BLASTER variable.

DOS Games are finicky sometimes, you'll have to play around to get certain ones to work correctly with sound.

* Edit: Also, try running SetupSA and make sure your volume levels are up on everything.