VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would recommend using the GUS gameport for joystick input and disable the one from the Yamaha sound card, it is speed compensated and can be adjusted with the ULTRAJOY program. That program can be added to AUTOEXEC.BAT, avoiding having to type it each time when starting the computer.

You can still connect an external MIDI module to the Yamaha Audician 32 Plus that way because it isn't affected when disabling the joystick input on that card.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 21 of 24, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-05-09, 01:19:

I would recommend using the GUS gameport for joystick input and disable the one from the Yamaha sound card, it is speed compensated and can be adjusted with the ULTRAJOY program. That program can be added to AUTOEXEC.BAT, avoiding having to type it each time when starting the computer.

You can still connect an external MIDI module to the Yamaha Audician 32 Plus that way because it isn't affected when disabling the joystick input on that card.

Thank you so much. I just got home and I enabled the GUS game port. My joystick worked just fine. I plan on using Serdashop's DB-15 MIDI adapter for an eventual Roland CM-32L and SC-55. I don't know if those depend on interrupt requests. As you can see, I have none left. I assigned 10 to the Yamaha Audician 32 Plus and 11 to the GUS Classic.

As for limitations that I'm facing, I could not get the X2GS that is on the Yamaha Audician 32 Plus working with TIE Fighter using SETMUSE. I could get the X2GS working in Descent's setup utility, but not the Yamaha Audician 32 Plus itself. I also could not get output from the Gravis Ultrasound Classic in Descent's setup utility. I don't know if that has to do with the fact that there were a slew of instrument files that the setup utility could not find after I had quickly attempting setup.

I've taken this PC nearly as far as I can take it. Other than the MIDI modules, all that I can think of to expand on it further are a Serdashop X2GS for the Diamond Monster Sound MX300 and one of those fancy Gotek floppy emulators that people sell on eBay with rotary dials and OLED displays. I often jump ahead two or three emulated floppies when I mean to jump ahead one when using my Gotek floppy emulator. I had a Serdashop X2 that was lost in the mail.

Reply 22 of 24, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Programs using the DOS/4GW extender doesn't work with devices using IRQ higher than 7. 🙁

At least set the Yamaha SB IRQ to 5 or 7 and the MPU-401 IRQ to 9 or 2 (don't worry, it gets redirected to IRQ 9) which means that the SB Audigy 2 ZS IRQ (either the FireWire interface and/or sound card itself) must be different. For this it may be necessary to set IRQ 5 or 7 to "Legacy ISA" or something similar depending of the BIOS settings.

For Descent I don't recommend the GUS anyway because that game doesn't take advantage of the hardware mixer except for MIDI music.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 23 of 24, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you again. I was actually selecting Sound Blaster 16/AWE32 for my digital sound card in TIE Fighter and Descent. Setting it Sound Blaster Pro made sound work in both games!

Edit: Or at least, it made sound work in the setup utilities. I haven't tried the games yet.

Edit 2: Yes, it works in the games.

Edit 3: I did as you advised and I set IRQ 5 to ISA in the BIOS. I also set the Yamaha Sound Blaster IRQ to 5. Would it potentially cause problems to set the WSS IRQ in the card's setup utility to the Yamaha Sound Blaster IRQ? I have done that. It seems that IRQ 10 is now free. That's good because I'd like to add a network card to my system to use with RetroNAS. It doesn't seem to me that the Gravis Ultrasound Classic can use IRQ 10. Unfortunately, it seems that I cannot change the MPU-401 IRQ with this card and that it is set to the card's Sound Blaster IRQ.

Edit 4: I don't know if it's the DreamBlaster X2GS or the Yamaha card, but using them causes my PC speaker to output a constant beep. Would anyone know that is? It's annoying, but I live in an apartment, so if I can't figure it out, I'll remove the speaker from the motherboard.

Edit 5: It seems that a lot of sound cards have PC speaker pins. I don't know if the four pins above the CD audio header on the Yamaha Audician 32 Plus are for that. Looking it up, it seems that I can use jumper wires to route speaker audio from the motherboard to a sound card that has PC speaker pins. To make things easier, I'll be purchasing four-pin jumper wires to route speaker audio from the motherboard to the four-pin header above the CD audio header on my Yamaha card.

Reply 24 of 24, by MrDeeWilliams

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If anyone comes across this post with issues with their Gravis Ultrasound, I just wanted to say that I was under a lot of stress when I had previously been active in this thread. Wow. Five edits in one post?

Anyway, my GUS Classic totally worked after fixing my mistake of placing the RAM chips upside down.

I did not have enough free interrupt requests, so Jazz Jackrabbit did not work properly using the GUS. That's all there is to that. Jazz Jackrabbit requires two free interrupt requests when using a Gravis Ultrasound. Superfrog worked properly with the Gravis Ultrasound, though.