Rank

Hi all
I have a 3 partition pc on a CF card.

DOS
WIN95
WIN98

I'm using system commander 2000.
Pentium 233MMX

I have a BTC ISA sound card with ESS1868F chip.
Everything was good until I installed WIN95 (on a different partition...) IRQ No. was 3,5.
Then it got changed to 10 somehow and I didn't have FX sound on DOS games. I can hear music but no FX. like on Doom or Hexen, there's only music.

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
109.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I tried to use UNISOUND driver, and it found my blaster environment on IRQ 5 but still no FX sound.

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
108.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I then configured the Legasy ISA/PNP by this, and both FX sound and music work on DOS now.

3.jpg
Filename
3.jpg
File size
171.39 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
4.jpg
Filename
4.jpg
File size
148.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I can see IRQ was changed to "9" but DMA is now on 1,3 so I believe it works because the DMA was fixed as "1" was default?

Anyway, I have both music and sound on DOS but not on windows.
If I run a DOS game on W95/98 I have only FX sound now with no music.

any help?

Reply 2 of 5, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dos isn't initialising any other hardware than what is needed, so unisound is setting the irq at 5 for the sound card. this setting isn't permanent, it's just the TSR in dos making it up as it starts. which is absolutely normal.

the motherboard's resources show you irq 9 because win95 and win98 are both plug-n-play OS, and are assigning the resources. even though you chose "manual" in bios, i dont really trust that the OS listens to the motherboard. its more like the motherboard listens to the OS.

i think it's likely that either your USB controller is being assigned irq 5 or 7 in windows. check devices in system (right click my computer > properties > system > devices) to confirm.

if this is the case, go back into bios and disable your usb controller (i think it's onboard as it's intel).
once usb is disabled, go back into win95 and win98, going into devices again, and manually changing your ess to irq 5 in both operating systems.
once that is set, go back into bios, re-enable your USB controller. windows will then assign an IRQ after 5 (7,9,11...)

manually managing sound cards while windows automatically re-manages the resources for other hardware can be a pain. i went through this recently with an orpheus sound card and a network card that kept getting irq 5 and the sound card constantly getting irq 11 before i realised that it was the newly installed network card. windows just simply doesn't know that the sound card -needs- to be either irq 5 or 7 for most games to work properly.

Reply 3 of 5, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
foil_fresh wrote on 2022-04-14, 03:58:
dos isn't initialising any other hardware than what is needed, so unisound is setting the irq at 5 for the sound card. this sett […]
Show full quote

dos isn't initialising any other hardware than what is needed, so unisound is setting the irq at 5 for the sound card. this setting isn't permanent, it's just the TSR in dos making it up as it starts. which is absolutely normal.

the motherboard's resources show you irq 9 because win95 and win98 are both plug-n-play OS, and are assigning the resources. even though you chose "manual" in bios, i dont really trust that the OS listens to the motherboard. its more like the motherboard listens to the OS.

i think it's likely that either your USB controller is being assigned irq 5 or 7 in windows. check devices in system (right click my computer > properties > system > devices) to confirm.

if this is the case, go back into bios and disable your usb controller (i think it's onboard as it's intel).
once usb is disabled, go back into win95 and win98, going into devices again, and manually changing your ess to irq 5 in both operating systems.
once that is set, go back into bios, re-enable your USB controller. windows will then assign an IRQ after 5 (7,9,11...)

manually managing sound cards while windows automatically re-manages the resources for other hardware can be a pain. i went through this recently with an orpheus sound card and a network card that kept getting irq 5 and the sound card constantly getting irq 11 before i realised that it was the newly installed network card. windows just simply doesn't know that the sound card -needs- to be either irq 5 or 7 for most games to work properly.

Oh yes,Mainboard reported IRQ9, this might be the problem! In my experience it is a good idea to let the Mainboard assign resources instead of Win9X. I normally select in the Bios "Plug and Play OS" NO, and resources configured automatically.
I would also check if IRQ5/7 is not reserved for non-PnP ISA cards as most BIOS es offer such a setting. Checking or disabling resource-hungry USB controller is a good Idea as well for troubleshooting. Sometimes it will also help to change the ISA slot if there is more than 1.

Reply 4 of 5, by idan182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I played with the settings.
Sound card on WIN98 was on IRQ9
I changed the value to 5 but still no music in dos games.

20220420_114750.jpg
Filename
20220420_114750.jpg
File size
281.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Then I changed the whole table to "PNP/ISA Pnp" from Legacy ISA (PNP OS=NO)

And it recognized the sound card on IRQ5 when post instead of IRQ9

Still no music.
I switched to WIN95 and everything works fine there.
So I changed the WDM driver to WIN95 VXD driver and everything works!!

*Control Interface is still WDM driver, do I need to change that too? what does it do?

20220420_125418.jpg
Filename
20220420_125418.jpg
File size
428.53 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 5 of 5, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are two ways to initialize sound cards:

Using PNP OS Installed = No and Yes

• No - BIOS assigns IRQ, DMA to devices. Your BIOS settings for IRQs/DMAs was wrong. You should be using Legacy ISA as few times as possible. In your case for DMA 1,3 and two IRQs you want.
  • Yes - OS assigns IRQ, DMA to devices - in your case Windows or DOS. In this case sound card won't be listed during boot time or will be listed without IRQ/DMA. Normally Windows would assign IRQ/DMA for you and you can usually also choose from a few options in device driver dialog. It is also possible to do this from DOS by running sound card driver in autoexec.bat and telling it what IRQ/DMA to use.

You could have a DOS boot menu with menu item for Windows and DOS. In DOS mode you would run sound card driver to set the IRQ/DMA you want. In Windows you could achieve it via device driver dialog.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS