VOGONS

First post, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello friends,
The card is detected as SB16 in Descent setup and the FX as well as FM plays just fine. But this card also features an ICS WaveFront wavetable, and this won't work. I can select general Midi at port 330 without error message but there is no sound at all. Sadly I did not find any informations about this card and so I also couldn't figure out it's jumper settings.
Does anyone have this card or know how to get the wavetable running?
Greetings, Ernie

Attachments

Reply 1 of 56, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Brand was "mediaforte" they are rare but not totally unknown:
Help me identify this Vibra 16 card

The Vibra chip was used on quite a few 3rd party cards.

The Wavefront wasn't that rare either, also used on a turtle beach card:
http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/tur … _soundkarte.jpg
That one need drivers to initialize under DOS.
Maybe that will help you.

I like jumpers.

Reply 2 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This sounds like an interesting card, I hope you get it running and we get a nice video 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 56, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-09, 18:14:
The Brand was "mediaforte" they are rare but not totally unknown: Help me identify this Vibra 16 card […]
Show full quote

The Brand was "mediaforte" they are rare but not totally unknown:
Help me identify this Vibra 16 card

The Vibra chip was used on quite a few 3rd party cards.

The Wavefront wasn't that rare either, also used on a turtle beach card:
http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/tur … _soundkarte.jpg
That one need drivers to initialize under DOS.
Maybe that will help you.

Thank you - unfortunately I had no success so far. I just tried the TB Tropez drivers as mentioned. It contains a program called wfdos.exe that is WaveFront DOS utility. I set up port 330, no error. (Port 300 gave error so it detects the interface somehow). But no wavetable sound in games at all. setupsnd.exe reports IRQ 9 not responding.

Last edited by pc-sound-legacy on 2022-04-09, 20:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 56, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-04-09, 19:29:

This sounds like an interesting card, I hope you get it running and we get a nice video 😀

If so, there Wille be a video for sure 😀 But it seems to be a challenge.
I attached a Dreamblaster X2 on the J1 connector above the vibra chip. Now I have wavetable sound on port 330, but it's the Dreamblaster. I wonder how to get the ICS wavetable running.

Reply 5 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it will probably need it's own driver , not sure how it is accessed though...
I've never heard of this manufacturer before tbh

the linked TB card uses the 68000 cpu to do "mpu duties" I have one... on boot the driver loads a firmware for 68000 and it starts acting as an MPU at the normal 3xx ports
but we do not see such a helper cpu on that card , I hope this is not the case of a windows-only feature

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 56, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It’s a Soundblaster 32 clone compatible with SB32 drivers and software!
“ The Sound Blaster 32 (SB32) was a value-oriented offering from Creative, announced on June 6, 1995, designed to fit below the AWE32 Value in the lineup. The SB32 lacked onboard RAM, the Wave Blaster header, and the CSP socket. The boards also used the Vibra digital audio chip which lacked adjustments for bass, treble, and gain. The SB32 had the same MIDI capabilities as the AWE32, and had the same 30-pin SIMM RAM expansion capability. The board was also fully compatible with the AWE32 option in software and used the same Windows drivers. Once the SB32 was outfitted with 30-pin SIMMs, its sampler section performed identically to the AWE32's. Some Sound Blaster 32 PnP with onboard 512kB RAM was sold as AWE32 OEM in Dell computers”

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 7 of 56, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2022-04-09, 17:51:
Hello friends, The card is detected as SB16 in Descent setup and the FX as well as FM plays just fine. But this card also featu […]
Show full quote

Hello friends,
The card is detected as SB16 in Descent setup and the FX as well as FM plays just fine. But this card also features an ICS WaveFront wavetable, and this won't work. I can select general Midi at port 330 without error message but there is no sound at all. Sadly I did not find any informations about this card and so I also couldn't figure out it's jumper settings.
Does anyone have this card or know how to get the wavetable running?
Greetings, Ernie

The Sound Galaxy Waverider 32 (the first one - I38-MMSN826) also used the ICS Wavefront chipset for MIDI. Perhaps try the tsr from that driver set to see if you have any luck.

Reply 8 of 56, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Babasha wrote on 2022-04-09, 20:30:

It’s a Soundblaster 32 clone compatible with SB32 drivers and software!
“ The Sound Blaster 32 (SB32) was a value-oriented offering from Creative, announced on June 6, 1995, designed to fit below the AWE32 Value in the lineup. The SB32 lacked onboard RAM, the Wave Blaster header, and the CSP socket. The boards also used the Vibra digital audio chip which lacked adjustments for bass, treble, and gain. The SB32 had the same MIDI capabilities as the AWE32, and had the same 30-pin SIMM RAM expansion capability. The board was also fully compatible with the AWE32 option in software and used the same Windows drivers. Once the SB32 was outfitted with 30-pin SIMMs, its sampler section performed identically to the AWE32's. Some Sound Blaster 32 PnP with onboard 512kB RAM was sold as AWE32 OEM in Dell computers”

It isn't, no EMU8K chip onboard. 😉

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 10 of 56, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it doesn't seem they carried the old ISA drivers: https://web.archive.org/web/20100122085159/ht … fo/drivers.html

Reply 11 of 56, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Babasha wrote on 2022-04-09, 21:15:

So why not write to official support?

http://www.mediaforte.info/

Thanks for posting a scam link. I did enter a bunch of fake info. Hope the dummies actually dial the phone number I put in or try to spam the email address I entered.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 56, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found some information about that SB16 + ICS wavetable synth on yjfy's site, it appears to be called SF32-WAV (VSoundForte 32 Wav).

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 13 of 56, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^was looking at that too. (The 'V' at the beginning of the quoted 'VSoundforte ....' is just a typo I assume, since the term 'VSoundforte' doesn't seem to exist anywhere else on the internet)

Another small bit of evidence, which may or may not help with the card's function, is the visible jumper settings in the few available online images of the card. Examples:

PICT2818.jpeg
Filename
PICT2818.jpeg
File size
67.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
32.34 KiB
Views
File license

So, if you're totally in-the-dark as to what jumper settings to try, those may at least give a starting point.

The fact that both above images - which are from separate sources - share certain jumper settings in common, suggests they may be defaults.

Last edited by Shreddoc on 2022-04-09, 22:38. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 14 of 56, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2022-04-09, 21:37:

it doesn't seem they carried the old ISA drivers: https://web.archive.org/web/20100122085159/ht … fo/drivers.html

Was able to find the older site going back to 1998.
Unfortunately, no drivers for this particular card (which is odd) but, there are drivers for the SF16 range of cards: https://web.archive.org/web/19980626041335/ht … .sg/support.htm

Reply 15 of 56, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found a driver by searching around typing "Mediaforte Soundforte 32 Wave Table Synthesizer", thanks to Shreddoc mentioning that "VSoundforte" was a typo. It has three folders which were supposed to be floppy disks. There is a DOS executable called SF32WAV.EXE located on DISK1 folder which is for use with that ICS wavetable synth.

The name of the file implies that is simply SB16 drivers but it is misleading.

Attachments

• Filename
    ctsb16.zip
    File size
    2.99 MiB
    Downloads
    63 downloads
    File comment
    Soundforte 32 Wave Table Synthesizer
    File license

Reply 16 of 56, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-04-09, 22:04:
Babasha wrote on 2022-04-09, 21:15:

So why not write to official support?

http://www.mediaforte.info/

Thanks for posting a scam link. I did enter a bunch of fake info. Hope the dummies actually dial the phone number I put in or try to spam the email address I entered.

Two months ago somebody write to such “obsolete” site admin for Pinnacle/Miro drivers/manuals and… GET HELP AND LINKS 😉

Reply 17 of 56, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still doesn't change that the links on that site are phishing links.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 56, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-04-10, 03:25:

Still doesn't change that the links on that site are phishing links.

I get a answer from this “phishers” at last
“ Hi,

Sorry we do not have this driver and user manual.

May be u can search in other website?”

It looks like this card were in abandon status before “internet era” ever for developers. Only hope for eBay and other forums where maybe owners with saved card with drivers or ultra old drivers cd collectors. 🙁

Reply 19 of 56, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-09, 22:33:
^was looking at that too. (The 'V' at the beginning of the quoted 'VSoundforte ....' is just a typo I assume, since the term 'VS […]
Show full quote

^was looking at that too. (The 'V' at the beginning of the quoted 'VSoundforte ....' is just a typo I assume, since the term 'VSoundforte' doesn't seem to exist anywhere else on the internet)

Another small bit of evidence, which may or may not help with the card's function, is the visible jumper settings in the few available online images of the card. Examples:

PICT2818.jpeg

2.jpg

So, if you're totally in-the-dark as to what jumper settings to try, those may at least give a starting point.

The fact that both above images - which are from separate sources - share certain jumper settings in common, suggests they may be defaults.

Thank you! I now set the jumpers as shown in the pictures.