VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Roland MT-32 is hard to find today at reasonable costs.
What other Roland device is good as an alternative ?
Is the Roland SC-55 Okay ?…..Can it produce the same sounds as the MT-32 ?

Reply 1 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-04-18, 05:02:

The Roland MT-32 is hard to find today at reasonable costs.
What other Roland device is good as an alternative ?
Is the Roland SC-55 Okay ?…..Can it produce the same sounds as the MT-32 ?

The short answer to this is "it depends on the games you want to play" .

In more detail :

- An SC-55 will work in any game that explicitly supports it or that has a General MIDI option for music .

- An MT-32 will work with older games that were released before General MIDI was standard and that have an option to use an MT-32 .

- For a time, in the early 90s, some games supported both MT-32 and General MIDI (the game's setup allowed you to choose one or the other). Which one will sound better will depend on the game, but either should sound reasonably good .

- The SC-55 has an MT-32 compatibility mode that is very limited and will not sound correct at all with the majority of MT-32 compatible games, except those that rely on the MT-32's default instrument presets .

There are other subtleties and nuances, but the above covers the essence of the matter and hopefully (mostly) answers your questions.

Reply 2 of 30, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About five years ago, I deliberately indulged a bit and got both. But for some 150 € together.

Thing is, today, if it's just about their practical use, I'd just get a modern replica for less. Don't think we'll hear the difference.

There are waveblaster modules and also the MiSTer project, based on the Raspberry Pi.

To authentically use the MT-32, you'll also need an "intelligent mode" MPU-401 interface card, a further complication and cost factor.
From 1992 on, most games will support General Midi:
https://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/att … et,0/p,2/so,1a/

I like jumpers.

Reply 3 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-04-18, 05:30:
About five years ago, I deliberately indulged a bit and got both. But for some 150 € together. […]
Show full quote

About five years ago, I deliberately indulged a bit and got both. But for some 150 € together.

Thing is, today, if it's just about their practical use, I'd just get a modern replica for less. Don't think we'll hear the difference.

There are waveblaster modules and also the MiSTer project, based on the Raspberry Pi.

To authentically use the MT-32, you'll also need an "intelligent mode" MPU-401 interface card, a further complication and cost factor.
From 1992 on, most games will support General Midi:
https://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/att … et,0/p,2/so,1a/

The "intelligent mode" MPU-401 thing can largely be fixed using SoftMPU with with a "dumb" ( UART only) MPU-401 compatible midi port . For this to work, the computer must be a 386 or newer and be running EMM 386 . If a given MT-32 supporting game that requires "intelligent mode" is incompatible with EMM386, then using SoftMPU would not be an option for it, but I am personally not aware of any such games .

Reply 4 of 30, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say, they are distinct form each other. SC55 has the MT32 instrument list but its not MT32 compatible. MT32 has much deeper programability/functionality that is not replicated outside of MT32. Those roland devices like SC55, SC88 that have an MT32 mode doesnt mean much if the game is going to try and use MT32 functionality. (Not all MT32 games do use that functionality tho).. For a wider game range, the SC55 or SC88 is perfect for the range of games it supports. MT32 isnt a huge list of a games, unless its your favourite games...

in todays prices, probably not worth chasing a real MT32. Easier to use Munt.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 5 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you enjoy games from late 80's to early 90's, it's worth getting an MT-32. Especially for classic Sierra games. Their MT-32 soundtracks are fantastic.

If you want something that will do both Roland General MIDI and MT-32, look for a Roland CM-500. It's basically an MT-32 (technically a CM-32L) and Sound Canvas in a single unit.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2022-04-18, 22:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 30, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SC-55 and MT-32 are different devices with different sounds. While the SC-55 has an "MT-32 Mode", that only covers part of the real MT-32's abilities.

It's worth experiencing the quality MT-32 soundtracks.

How you do that, is up to you. Options include :

• buy a real one ($$$)
  • run MUNT on another PC - giving you a perfect-sounding, emulated MT-32 (basically free)
  • build your own mt32-pi device (at a fraction of the cost of a real MT-32)
  • buy a pre-built mt32-pi device e.g. from Serdaco (again, at a fraction of the cost of a real one)
Last edited by Shreddoc on 2022-04-18, 22:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 30, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-18, 22:17:

How you do that is up to you. Options include buy a real one ($$$), run MUNT on another PC (basically free), build your own mt32-pi device (at a fraction of the cost of a real MT-32), or buy a pre-built mt32-pi device (e.g. from Serdaco) again at a fraction of the price of a real one.

Don't all of these require you to own a real MT-32 in order to get hold of the copyrighted ROMs (or images of them)?

Reply 8 of 30, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
davidrg wrote on 2022-04-18, 22:19:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-04-18, 22:17:

How you do that is up to you. Options include buy a real one ($$$), run MUNT on another PC (basically free), build your own mt32-pi device (at a fraction of the cost of a real MT-32), or buy a pre-built mt32-pi device (e.g. from Serdaco) again at a fraction of the price of a real one.

Don't all of these require you to own a real MT-32 in order to get hold of the copyrighted ROMs (or images of them)?

Legal grey area. You know as well as I do that the vast majority of people who do this, do not own a real MT-32, and are not getting their ROMs directly from one.

Reply 9 of 30, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly. I sold my SC-55 because it was just another thing taking up space on my desk that needed its own power cord and a bunch of wires out the back to the PC. Pretty sure you can get entire SC-55 sound-alikes on a wavetable module nowadays so i can't justify the need for a separate unit IMO. SC-55 has a MT32 mode but it won't sound like one. It simply maps all the SC55 instruments onto whatever MT32 stuff the game requests.

I don't care too much for the sound of a MT-32 (or midi devices in general). Your ears will have to decide if its worth the nasty price they command on ebay. Or just use an emulator like MUNT with a PI. You probably couldn't tell the difference vs the real thing unless you really tried.

Reply 10 of 30, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not a hard decision really.

Just go to Youtube, search for "best MT-32 soundtracks" or similar, and watch some relevant videos.

If, after watching said videos, you're thinking I need to be able to have that on my own computer at home, then: Question Answered, in the affirmative. Otherwise, not.

About as simple as that.

There are all kinds of ways technically to achieve it (let's leave the wink-wink-nudge-nudge do-you-really-0wn-the-original-device legal grey area talk for Legal Forums hey? else we might as well just close half the threads here...), if you so desire. At a variety of price points.

Reply 11 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FioGermi wrote on 2022-04-18, 22:30:

Your ears will have to decide if its worth the nasty price they command on ebay.

The price inflation of MT-32's (and others like Sound Canvases) has been quite ridiculous.

It must be driven largely by retro gaming, since other sound modules not generally used for gaming (e.g. Roland XV-5080) have remained relatively static price-wise.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 13 of 30, by FioGermi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-04-19, 01:51:
FioGermi wrote on 2022-04-18, 22:30:

Your ears will have to decide if its worth the nasty price they command on ebay.

The price inflation of MT-32's (and others like Sound Canvases) has been quite ridiculous.

It must be driven largely by retro gaming, since other sound modules not generally used for gaming (e.g. Roland XV-5080) have remained relatively static price-wise.

More then likely. MT-32 has had a ton of exposure over the last few years thanks to channels like PhilsComputerLab. More exposure = more demand. I don't think they were very common in the first place tbh, so its no wonder they command a pretty penny now. Not blaming Phil ofc. Just a byproduct of showing off all the cool stuff to the masses! Now everyone (understandably) wants a piece of history.

Reply 15 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sunoo wrote on 2022-04-19, 05:00:

I managed to snag my MT-32 for not too bad (well, much better than eBay pricing anyways) off Reverb, so might be worth keeping an eye on there if you’re looking.

I've had similar luck with local used music shops. Picked up a pair of MT-32's that way at prices far less than Ebay.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 16 of 30, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-04-19, 14:20:
Sunoo wrote on 2022-04-19, 05:00:

I managed to snag my MT-32 for not too bad (well, much better than eBay pricing anyways) off Reverb, so might be worth keeping an eye on there if you’re looking.

I've had similar luck with local used music shops. Picked up a pair of MT-32's that way at prices far less than Ebay.

I was lucky enough to pick up a Roland RA-50 (as a spare, as I already have an MT-32) on Ebay just before enough people clued in on its MT-32 compatibility (need to use SoftMPU, a HardMPU or effect a hardware mod for it to be usable as an MT-32 because it does not support "all notes off" out of the box) and thus before prices went up .

On that "note" (pun intended), there has been an RA-50 for a sale on a local pawn shop's (member of a chain) web site for almost 3 years for, IMHO, a very reasonable price .

Re: Roland RA-50, RA-90 and RA-95 doubts about purchase or not

Reply 17 of 30, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robertkopp wrote on 2022-04-19, 01:58:

Speaking of the sc55, I could get the sc880 for a reasonable price. This is a sc88pro in a rack or am I mislead somehow?

Similar but not the same. The SC-880 is expanded with more user patches and has a couple other differences, like a newer AKM DAC (same as the 8850), although specs aside, the sound of the DAC might actually be less pleasing than the 88Pro's BurrBrown one (possibly less warm, more digital sounding). I haven't heard much 880 but was always turned off with how the 8850 with its AKM DAC sounded compared to the 8820/SC-D70.

In terms of having the old maps, the SC-880 has those. Of course, they don't 1:1 replicate the SC-55 due to different waveforms, so don't expect SC-55 mode (i.e. GM gaming) to be perfect.

As far as the OP question: The SC-55 is for General MIDI (GM) gaming. The MT-32 is for MT-32 gaming. A SC-55 isn't advisable to use in MT-32 mode, neither is a MT-32 advisable to use for GM scores. Of course anyone can if they want, but better results at least for first time experiences will be obtained using the device the soundtrack was composed for.

Although someone said the SC-55 MT-32 mode is just GM instruments remapped - this isn't quite true. The SC-55 may well reuse waveforms in its MT-32 patches (which is why it sounds limitedly like a MT-32's default patches) but they are unique patches and do correspond to the default MT-32 map. IIRC, you can tell by the partials/notes used, usually found in the documentation with the patches (at least on the old GS devices from the early 90s).

Reply 18 of 30, by eightbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I purchased a Roland SC-50 a few months ago for cheap. It is basically the SC-55 but without the MT-32 mode....which I hear sucks anyway.

The plan for me was to get this for General MIDI and eventually add an MT-32 to the mix.

But, is it even worth the money for the handful of games that use the MT-32? The MT-32 goes for a few hundred now....

I will say that the SC-50 is amazing. So many games utilize General MIDI and it has been the single best purchase in audio I have made this year. Maybe I will still add an MT-32 to the mix one day but certainly not for a few hundred bucks.

Reply 19 of 30, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eightbit wrote on 2022-04-21, 01:11:

But, is it even worth the money for the handful of games that use the MT-32? The MT-32 goes for a few hundred now....

I think it's as I said here :

Just go to Youtube, search for "best MT-32 soundtracks" or similar, and watch some relevant videos.

If, after watching said videos, you're thinking I need to be able to have that on my own computer at home, then: Question Answered, in the affirmative. Otherwise, not.