VOGONS

First post, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sound card is IPLAW35 CRYSTAL CX4237B-XQ3 (ISA).

iplaw35s-l1600.jpg
Filename
iplaw35s-l1600.jpg
File size
310.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

After booting to DOS, the POST screen lists PCI devices and under that shows my soundcard detected as an ISA PNP DEVICE.
Then I have around 1 minute to initiate the card before it disappears and can't be detected by unisound or it's own dos driver.

I have noticed if I don't connect the 3.5mm stereo jack to lineout the card will sometimes not disappear, it will still be detected 30 minutes later but as soon as I plug in the 3.5mm jack back in to line out the card disappears from DOS. Motherboard is 440BX and has no other problems. Tried the soundcard in two other motherboards with different power supplies and it has the same issue.
Does this sound like a capacitor problem (they look in very good condition)?

Reply 1 of 2, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I removed the caps, they came off very easy on this card and tested them with an ESR Meter. According to the chart they are what you would expect. The capacitor tester I used showed they are all within 98% of their rating.
I soldered on new capacitors and the behavior of the card is exactly the same, so I'm a bit lost with this one.

Rarely the card is found at boot and will work for hours (with 3.5mm lead in line out). Usually it disappears from DOS after 1 minute, or I remove the 3.5mm stereo lead, boot and card is found, then plugging the 3.5mm lead to line out causes the card to disappear.

Reply 2 of 2, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tested for shorts/continuity?

Are all the solder joints intact? (e.g. no loose pins or other broken joints).

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards