VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a bit confused on what makes a SoundBlaster different from an Adlib card.

For example, I'm aware the Adlib cards used the Yamaha OPL2 and OPL3 FM synthesizer chips but these were also on the SoundBlaster cards, right?

What did SoundBlaster add/provide besides the OPL2/OPL3 chips?

Reply 2 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ The Sound Blaster also added a gameport interface which can also be used to connect external MIDI devices but it isn't MPU-401 compatible (required using the Sound Blaster MIDI mode) prior the SB16.

Also the AdLib isn't really a MIDI synthetizer. However, there are programs that has a MIDI driver written for the OPL2/3 FM synth.

Last edited by Gmlb256 on 2022-06-08, 19:54. Edited 1 time in total.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first three Sound Blasters (1.0, 1.5, 2.0) could play stereo music, too.

They could be equipped with 2x Philips SAA1099 sound chips (+ a logic chip).

With them installed, the Sound Blasters were compatible to The Creative Music System (aka Gameblaster).
That was the predecessor of the Sound Blaster.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Sound Blaster compatible" cards have FM synthesis (OPL2, OPL3, or similar) + PCM.
Philips SAA1099 isn't FM, and Creative dropped it very quickly, so clone makers didn't bother providing these chips - even sockets for optional installation of SAA1099 were very rare.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...