VOGONS

Reply 820 of 834, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-04-10, 21:20:

Whole point of using rp2040 is that chips like AD1848 are easy to implement in software

Would AD1848/CS4231/CS4248 not be much more difficult than SB DSP 2.x which is what PicoGUS emulates now?

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 821 of 834, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Much easier because there's no MCU to emulate, just some registers and state machines.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 822 of 834, by polpo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So here's something that's not possible on the PicoGUS 2.0 card, but is on the 1.x cards as well as the Femto: WiFi. Thanks to yyzkevin again, NE2000 emulation is working on the PicoGUS with a Pico-W. It'll still be a while before it's polished: it'll need support from pgusinit to set the SSID and WPA2 password, and I'm also going to start storing card settings in flash so you don't have to run pgusinit all the time.

b86960fe9a51b877.jpeg
Filename
b86960fe9a51b877.jpeg
File size
322.2 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
b557c1a432a4b2c8.jpeg
Filename
b557c1a432a4b2c8.jpeg
File size
323.65 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 823 of 834, by Delphius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
polpo wrote on 2024-04-15, 00:24:

So here's something that's not possible on the PicoGUS 2.0 card, but is on the 1.x cards as well as the Femto: WiFi. Thanks to yyzkevin again, NE2000 emulation is working on the PicoGUS with a Pico-W. It'll still be a while before it's polished: it'll need support from pgusinit to set the SSID and WPA2 password, and I'm also going to start storing card settings in flash so you don't have to run pgusinit all the time.

b86960fe9a51b877.jpeg
b557c1a432a4b2c8.jpeg

That is super cool. Can this run along side other firmware or is it a separate uf2 to do this?

Reply 824 of 834, by polpo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TBD if it can run alongside other firmwares. WiFi uses a lot of RAM and requires its own IRQ so that will limit the other emulations it can coexist with. It may be possible to have a custom ne2000 packet driver that can multiplex the IRQ with the sound card but it's probably not going to be perfect.

Reply 825 of 834, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
polpo wrote on 2024-04-15, 00:24:

b86960fe9a51b877.jpeg
b557c1a432a4b2c8.jpeg

Holy shit that is so awesome!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 826 of 834, by Cbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

please explain does the card emulates MPU401 alongside (i.e. simultaneously) with sb or gus emulation or not?

ps may be that info was posted before, but in the first post not mentioned and it's 42 pages to read made me ask directly )

also did anyone checked if F-29 Retalliator detects MT-32 connected to this card (running current firmware)?

Reply 828 of 834, by Kekkula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since the cards are unobtainium, could someone make a tutorial how to order pcb's with smd components soldered from some pcb manufacturer? I glanced the github repo but couldn't figure out how to do it.
I think at least pcbway has some kind of project page where you can order ready made projects, I think that the project creator gets some commission too.

Reply 829 of 834, by polpo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been a bit too long since my last batch but I wouldn't exactly say the cards are unobtanium. Between myself and https://jcm-1.com/ we have 1000 cards currently in production that will be available in the next few weeks. Getting more sellers lined up outside of the US is in the works as well.

BTW I haven't used PCBWay because they aren't very competitive with their assembly costs. I don't think making the design available through their shared projects makes sense, either, since those would be small orders. If someone were to order 10 boards for example, it'd cost about $100/board. PicoGUS is cool and all but as the creator and knowing all of its warts it is not in my opinion worth $100.

Reply 831 of 834, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With SB and NE2000 now possible it makes more and more sense to plop one or two more rp2040 on the PCB and let them talk over fast serial bus.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 833 of 834, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kekkula wrote on 2024-04-16, 18:21:

Ok thanks for the reply.
Here in Europe cards are hard to come by 😉

Order your 1.x PCBs from JLCPCB and your parts from LCSC, solder and enjoy..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 834 of 834, by Piligrim-23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have assembled three PicoGUS V2.0 boards, and two of them work fine, but on the third board, clicks and crackles are heard when playing sounds and music, as if listening to a vinyl record.
What could be the problem? Maybe someone has come across such a case? I have already replaced the PCM5100A chip twice, but it has not given any positive results.
Link to the recorded audio file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13oy0wXh3Ue7P … K353x5l1JZ/view