VOGONS

First post, by Quest for Glory

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The topic says most of it.

I have an P2, with Audician 32 card, Roland Mt-32, that is conected to a Sc-88 Vl with the "through" conection. Running with Windows 98.

Most games I run with no issue. Quest for Glory 2, funn Mt-32 sound with messages in the display, same with Robin Hood, Castle of Dr. Brain.
But, when I try to run Larry 3 and Space Quest 3, I get no sound at all with Roland selected in the menu. Works fine with Soundblaster settings.

Also getting problem with DOTT, the sound start up with message and proper sound with the MT-32, but the game hangs 7-8sec in the intro, and the sound also hangs up.

The SC-88 works fine with Doom, Duke etc, so no issues there.

Really annoying that there is no problem with some games, but no sound at all with others.

Same problem with Win-98 dos mode, and if I boot in "true" Dos.

Anyone who can help me out? Wont play the games until I can play them with the Roland active.... :p

Reply 1 of 5, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could be wrong, so anyone correct me if I am, but this is an old game thing, possibly a conflict. While QFG2 is not VGA, it uses a different (later) version of SCI.

I think this utility will solve it: https://www.dosdays.co.uk/media/sierra/mt32sb.zip
"Just copy the MT32SB.EXE file to your game directory and run it. When prompted, enter you Sound Blaster's Address (usually 220H). If it worked, you should see a new file called MT32SB.DRV appear in your game's directory, and a new option in the INSTALL program's music card list called "MT-32 / SoundBlaster MIDI". If for any reason the INSTALL program fails to display this new entry (this often occurs), you will need to edit the file INSTALL.HLP manually, and add these 2 lines to the bottom:

\\MT32SB.DRV
MT-32 / Soundblaster MIDI
"

If not, let us know and we'll try something else. 😀

Reply 2 of 5, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Quest for Glory wrote on 2022-06-23, 22:58:
The topic says most of it. […]
Show full quote

I have an P2, with Audician 32 card, Roland Mt-32, that is conected to a Sc-88 Vl with the "through" conection. Running with Windows 98.

Most games I run with no issue. Quest for Glory 2, funn Mt-32 sound with messages in the display, same with Robin Hood, Castle of Dr. Brain.
But, when I try to run Larry 3 and Space Quest 3, I get no sound at all with Roland selected in the menu. Works fine with Soundblaster settings.

Also getting problem with DOTT, the sound start up with message and proper sound with the MT-32, but the game hangs 7-8sec in the intro, and the sound also hangs up.

Really annoying that there is no problem with some games, but no sound at all with others.

Anyone who can help me out? Wont play the games until I can play them with the Roland active.... :p

The Pentium 2 might be part of the problem. It might be too fast for some of the games. It would be gould if you could throttle it down or test with a slower PC.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 5, by Quest for Glory

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How about that...it worked 😁

Thank you 😀

root42 wrote on 2022-06-24, 06:50:
Show full quote

The Pentium 2 might be part of the problem. It might be too fast for some of the games. It would be gould if you could throttle it down or test with a slower PC.

Attachments

• 20220624_130110.jpg
    Filename
    20220624_130110.jpg
    File size
    796.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 5, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Quest for Glory wrote on 2022-06-24, 13:59:

How about that...it worked 😁

Thank you 😀

root42 wrote on 2022-06-24, 06:50:
Show full quote

For people reading in the future, what solved your issue? 😀 Glad it is solved, either way.

Reply 5 of 5, by rad_sci_guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2022-06-24, 06:48:
I could be wrong, so anyone correct me if I am, but this is an old game thing, possibly a conflict. While QFG2 is not VGA, it us […]
Show full quote

I could be wrong, so anyone correct me if I am, but this is an old game thing, possibly a conflict. While QFG2 is not VGA, it uses a different (later) version of SCI.

I think this utility will solve it: https://www.dosdays.co.uk/media/sierra/mt32sb.zip
"Just copy the MT32SB.EXE file to your game directory and run it. When prompted, enter you Sound Blaster's Address (usually 220H). If it worked, you should see a new file called MT32SB.DRV appear in your game's directory, and a new option in the INSTALL program's music card list called "MT-32 / SoundBlaster MIDI". If for any reason the INSTALL program fails to display this new entry (this often occurs), you will need to edit the file INSTALL.HLP manually, and add these 2 lines to the bottom:

\\MT32SB.DRV
MT-32 / Soundblaster MIDI
"

If not, let us know and we'll try something else. 😀

I was also having issues running the game with MT-32 but this patch fixed it. Game runs great and the midi is coming out from the MT-32. I'm playing on an Pentium III 733 and the game speed is normal.