Using the PLG150DR for my MU2000EX

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-26, 10:59:
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-07-26, 10:05:
OMG IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! This was exactly the tutorial I needed to understand what I was looking at and […]
Show full quote
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-25, 13:39:

OMG IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! This was exactly the tutorial I needed to understand what I was looking at and how things acts after resets, instruments, etc. And understanding "Parts" helps to go along ways.

Are there any other PLG modules you would recommend? I like collecting this stuff even if it has very little or limited gaming use, and I would like to get a keyboard someday to plug all my modules into and mess around with music.

Also I like the idea of maxing out my MU2000EX.

Depends on your tastes, I adore analog sounds so I have an AN. I also have SG... very bizzare device like nothing else. Fun toy if you can get one cheap. (Mine was 40 bucks 🤣). I want to buy a DX but they are the most expensive by far.

Also, I uploaded all the PLG editors and demo midis that I have in another thread the other day by the way.

Awesome. I will check them out. I have thought about the AN before. What is the SG and DX like?
What of those would have any applicable game use, if at all?

I also have a Turbo R and just got a Carnivore. Might look into the OPL4 based "Moon" cart or something moon name based to experiment with.

An Analog Girl in a Digital World

Reply 21 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-07-27, 00:08:
Awesome. I will check them out. I have thought about the AN before. What is the SG and DX like? What of those would have any a […]
Show full quote
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-26, 10:59:
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-07-26, 10:05:

OMG IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! This was exactly the tutorial I needed to understand what I was looking at and how things acts after resets, instruments, etc. And understanding "Parts" helps to go along ways.

Are there any other PLG modules you would recommend? I like collecting this stuff even if it has very little or limited gaming use, and I would like to get a keyboard someday to plug all my modules into and mess around with music.

Also I like the idea of maxing out my MU2000EX.

Depends on your tastes, I adore analog sounds so I have an AN. I also have SG... very bizzare device like nothing else. Fun toy if you can get one cheap. (Mine was 40 bucks 🤣). I want to buy a DX but they are the most expensive by far.

Also, I uploaded all the PLG editors and demo midis that I have in another thread the other day by the way.

Awesome. I will check them out. I have thought about the AN before. What is the SG and DX like?
What of those would have any applicable game use, if at all?

I also have a Turbo R and just got a Carnivore. Might look into the OPL4 based "Moon" cart or something moon name based to experiment with.

DX is basically the legendary DX-7 FM keyboard on a PLG, hence it's still popular with musicians and quite expensive still.

SG is a voice synthesis board that allows your MU to sing in Japanese. Very wacky, but fun toy Example:
https://youtu.be/atZHFyR1LTI

If you own an MSX, then I highly recommend you purchase a MIDI-PAC. It translates MSX PSG and OPLL (MSX-MUSIC) into MIDI in real time. Meaning you can play almost any MSX game in MIDI. Also fully customizable so you can use basically any MIDI compatible device.
https://shop.supersoniqs.com/en/home/78-midi-pac2.html

Moonsound (opl4) is a wonderful upgrade, but it requires games and software that support it. Very different thing from MIDI.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 22 of 25, by Nikita Lita

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-27, 04:08:

If you own an MSX, then I highly recommend you purchase a MIDI-PAC. It translates MSX PSG and OPLL (MSX-MUSIC) into MIDI in real time. Meaning you can play almost any MSX game in MIDI. Also fully customizable so you can use basically any MIDI compatible device.

That’s interesting, how are they able to translate the OPLL data into MIDI? Doesn’t the OPLL have user—programmable instruments?

Reply 23 of 25, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OPLL has one user programmable instrument, and 15 ROM based ones. The parameters are pretty few that you can actually deal with, even less than OPL2 so there's not a whole lot of combinations to map into something else.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 24 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nikita Lita wrote on 2022-07-27, 10:59:
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-27, 04:08:

That’s interesting, how are they able to translate the OPLL data into MIDI? Doesn’t the OPLL have user—programmable instruments?

To add to the above the user programable instrument is typically used for sound effects. Please see my Beginers Guide video to see the software in use.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 25 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Solomon's Key on MU2000+PLG150-DR. I really dig this one.
https://youtu.be/rcL1sm0fDTE