VOGONS

Reply 521 of 884, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And I just put my name down for an Orpheus 2! ☺️

Should have done it back with the first batch, but got sticker shock. After mulling it over for a few months though (and seeing eBay prices for the retro cards it replicates) its value proposition is now something I can get on board with. Just should have pulled the trigger before the LGR vid! 😂

Reply 522 of 884, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ubiq wrote on 2023-06-25, 20:40:

And I just put my name down for an Orpheus 2! ☺️

Should have done it back with the first batch, but got sticker shock. After mulling it over for a few months though (and seeing eBay prices for the retro cards it replicates) its value proposition is now something I can get on board with. Just should have pulled the trigger before the LGR vid! 😂

I remember that episode as well. LGR made a good argument that it's actually a good value compared to the cost of buying vintage hardware; an Ultrasound especially.

The Ultrasound is also, in my opinion, a companion card, since you really want something with better Sound Blaster compatibility, and possibly a genuine OPL3 as well. But the Orpheus II puts it all on one card. This also increases your choice of motherboard if you only need a single ISA slot for sound. There are quite a few distinct advantages.

Reply 523 of 884, by jroman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What's the card length of the LT? I have an HP desktop PC I'd like to put one of these in but the manual says the max size for the available slot I have is 16cm or 6.3". I could tell that the Orpheus I fit based on the card edge aligning with the connector but this one seems real close. Thanks!

Reply 524 of 884, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-06-26, 04:33:

The Ultrasound is also, in my opinion, a companion card, since you really want something with better Sound Blaster compatibility, and possibly a genuine OPL3 as well. But the Orpheus II puts it all on one card. This also increases your choice of motherboard if you only need a single ISA slot for sound. There are quite a few distinct advantages.

I purchased it just because of the GUS option - it's non-fake, non-emulated, native and with the maximum possibilities. Everything else is rare, expensive and not so cool. But everything else, including good MPU implementation was a nice addition, for sure.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 525 of 884, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jroman wrote on 2023-06-26, 09:39:

What's the card length of the LT? [...]

PCB is 16.6cm - 6mm longer than orpheus1 that is exact size of 16bit isa slot

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 526 of 884, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My experience with PCMidi, Orpheus and MK8330 cards is one of simple joy 😄

In particular Orpheus II and MK8330 (complete with pcmidi add-on) are incredible cards.

These boards have everything I wished a board had back in the day.

The question arises: what more could you ask for in the future? 😁
(sorry for the off-topic)

Reply 527 of 884, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
igna78 wrote on 2023-06-26, 11:16:

Possibly something with A3D or a Yamaha FX or GM chip. There is already the Fortex project, but they have different goals.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)

The biggest advantage of the Orpheus cards is the addition of the PCMIDI circuitry for intelligent mode MIDI in addition to whatever chip they decide to use for the sound card itself.

Reply 528 of 884, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd like Keropi to mess around with an ISA card that has just has an FPGA on it, then code cores for different sound cards..

I also wouldn't mind seeing him do a PCI CS4624/4630 sound card with an OPL3 chip - that would be my dream PCI card.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 530 of 884, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-06-26, 15:24:

You can't have a driverless OPL3 chip on the PCI bus. That only works on the ISA bus. OPL3 is only possible with drivers, and most of those only work under protected mode.

What prevents a PCI card from "rouguely" claiming I/O writes to ports 388-38B even if not configured using a BAR? This should be enough to get the OPL3 to the PCI bus and driverless DOS support. The PCI card can at the same time add enough wait states to make the "read the status port N times" loops slow enough, even though the PCI bus is faster than the ISA bus.

Reply 531 of 884, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Scuse me, but Yamaha YMF 7x4 is a chip with OPL3 core that work on PCI bus, is correct?

Create a sound card around this chip whit a wavetable headline and A3D component, will can be the next step (no add-on card, but a real sound card) 😁

Reply 532 of 884, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
igna78 wrote on 2023-06-26, 17:46:

Scuse me, but Yamaha YMF 7x4 is a chip with OPL3 core that work on PCI bus, is correct?

Create a sound card around this chip whit a wavetable headline and A3D component, will can be the next step (no add-on card, but a real sound card) 😁

I believe it only works with drivers while in protected mode.

Reply 533 of 884, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-06-26, 18:18:
igna78 wrote on 2023-06-26, 17:46:

I believe it only works with drivers while in protected mode.

This is exactly what PCPCI is for.

Reply 535 of 884, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-06-26, 18:43:

That connector is very uncommon. And most motherboards where it appears already have an ISA slot. The number of motherboards with a PC/PCI connector and no ISA slot is even fewer.

Yay, moving goal posts..

Reply 536 of 884, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

let's not get overboard here 😀
the truth is that we are not done with ISA yet and there are no plans or even thoughts at the moment to do something for the PCI bus
maaayybeeeee in the future - but it will be some far future...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 538 of 884, by a_h_adl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
igna78 wrote on 2023-06-26, 11:16:

What I 'd like to see eventually is a modular board to accept different add-ons instead of having different fully made ones.

So the board itself acts as a soundcard motherboard including all the high quality analogue routes, backplate and ISA connector. The digital processing part will be added on top of it so there won't need to design another card from scratch each time a new variant is going to be produced.

In this case we can have for example only GUS add-on or GUS + AWE add-on or any combinations we'd like to have as optional purchase. Reducing the production time and cost by increasing modularity. I believe there is no room to improve analogue part further so we can stop here and just focus on digital add-on boards.

Moreover, as this idea makes some portion of boards to overlap, it makes the final length of the cad shorter, (of course with the trade-off of it being a bit thicker).