VOGONS

Reply 740 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With 2 more mobos tested and none really work I think there is more going on here than just board weirdness - it should not be that difficult to get Orpheus2 running
I believe the best course of action would be to send the board back for checking/repair at this point. We will arrange it via email P4C800

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 741 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

New batch of LT boards is now available at www.pcmidi.eu
These use the YMF262 OPL3 chip and the output filtering stage of the AdLib Gold for said YMF262 (same deal as the full Orpheus2 boards that use YMF262).
Logo moved to the back because there was no space in front anymore 😁

DESnnKr.jpg

mPkqlLM.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 744 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
c0keb0ttle wrote on 2023-11-22, 18:21:

Great! So if we've earlier entered our info in the form we just wait to be contacted?

yep - as cards are soldered I will send out the emails just a little more patience

Reply 745 of 881, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if I can only afford either an Orpheus II LT or MK8330 (with PCMIDI), but not both, which would you go with?!? Such a hard choice!

P.S. I already own an Orpheus I and Orpheus II. But this new card would be for yet another retro machine..

Reply 747 of 881, by P4C800

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NJRoadfan wrote on 2023-11-22, 03:11:
I am running the latest stock BIOS for the motherboard, 1011 Beta 005. My board does not have onboard audio. Note that both the […]
Show full quote

I am running the latest stock BIOS for the motherboard, 1011 Beta 005. My board does not have onboard audio. Note that both the Ultrasound PnP and Crystal parts of the board should show up under configured PnP cards on the initial POST screen. In the BIOS, the following was set under the PnP Configuration.

Plug and Play OS Installed: NO

IRQs 3, 5, 7 set to "Legacy ISA"

Onboard serial and parallel ports were disabled to free resources up. Machine has an Adaptec SCSI card, Firewire card, and NIC all grabbing IRQs. I eventually got them to all share an IRQ.

Thanks for the details!

Also your hint about the Asus BIOS not listing ISA cards helped, using the Gigabyte board I could reliably get both WSS/SB and the MPU-401 listed right after the post screen as long as I disabled PnP. The interwave/gus however did not appear.

Reply 748 of 881, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mrzmaster wrote on 2023-11-22, 20:49:

if I can only afford either an Orpheus II LT or MK8330 (with PCMIDI), but not both, which would you go with?!? Such a hard choice!

P.S. I already own an Orpheus I and Orpheus II. But this new card would be for yet another retro machine..

Sounds like you don't really need another premium CS4237 card, MK8330 is an option that will allow you to experience newer things. I love mine 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 750 of 881, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Marmes wrote on 2023-11-22, 21:07:

If you own those 2, then I would advise MK8330+PCMIDI, you won't regret. If you add X2GS you have a very nice card. I do have one set like this in one of my PCs. Compatibility wise is perfect 😀

appiah4 wrote on 2023-11-23, 07:30:

Sounds like you don't really need another premium CS4237 card, MK8330 is an option that will allow you to experience newer things. I love mine 😀

Kahenraz wrote on 2023-11-23, 12:49:

I own both the Orpheus I and II (I also don't have an LT) and opted for a MK8330 to change things up a bit, since it has different features and will be a new experience.

Thanks for the feedback! MK8330 it is along with PCMIDI and the E-WAVE!

Reply 752 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bijl wrote on 2023-12-16, 13:58:

Thank you keropi and marmes for the beautifully crafted LT. My early xmas package just came in, installed it and working perfectly, cheers!

Awesome 😀 enjoy and thanks for your support bijl!

Reply 753 of 881, by Surrat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm waiting for my LT to arrive. I'm planning to run it alongside a Roland SCC-1, using dual coax to mini to pipe its sound into the Orpheus II.
Also have a DB50XG board to use with it at the same time.
Do you think I will run into any compatibility problems?
I havent seen any mention of running the II LT with an SCC-1.

Thanks for any advice!

Reply 754 of 881, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a problem with ICL D4/66d XGI computer. It has built-in SCSI which works at port 340h, IRQ 11 and DMA 6. I can change those in BIOS but Windows driver settings are hard coded so those are the only settings I can use.

Problem is that GUS PnP codec address is 34c. How to change that? Tried to set 32c in IW.INI but made no difference, crashes when initializing GUS. Do I need eprom toolz or something?

Edit: Played with unisound but there is no option to change that codec address. iwavecfg dont have anything about codec-address. This is very confusing, is it just impossible to change the address from 34c to 32c or something?

Edit2: Figured it out, Codec address follows Synth address, so 240 is 34c and 220 is 32c.

Reply 756 of 881, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you mean SCSI or GUS? SCSI-settings are unchangeable. Tried to change the port straight in .inf file but no help, I think the 340h is hard coed in the driver itself and that's it. I don't even have driver installed for GUS in Windows, no use for it.

With GUS I set the Synth address to 250 so Codec is now at 35c and it works with SCSI so problem solved.

Edit: Although some demos dont work with port 250h, just crash. Did work at 240h.

Reply 757 of 881, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello friends of the Orpheus (and Yamaha OPL3 in general)
I just released two more videos demonstrating the Orph II;

Adlib Tracker II music:
https://youtu.be/miwsO5yMNQ8?si=RYnK2tPlRpyP4RP8

Dune & Descent Level 1:
https://youtu.be/lIwMLTOyisM?si=QKAwQ8ti2Y2WspdV

Hope you like it
Greetings
Ernie

Reply 759 of 881, by moon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got my Orpheus II LT. Wolfenstein 3D works perfectly, DOSMID plays MIDI using the wavetable great. DOOM music works but I absolutely cannot get sound effects working. Adlib Tracker 2 plays awful gibberish. Can anyone confirm if they can get Adlib Tracker 2 in DOS to play tracker files correctly? Need independent confirmation of problem. I've tried many different combinations of card and BIOS settings, changing ISA slot etc. Suspicious that wolf3d sfx seems to work but not in other stuff.