VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Windows 98 build with a Diamond MX300 currently for A3D support and wavetable MIDI use. It also works well with DOS titles.

I am wondering if it's worth throwing an Audigy 2 ZS in the mix for proper EAX support? Anyone run this combo under Windows 98, and if so, is it worth running both cards?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 2, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't tried it in 98, but in DOS it was as easy as having a different autoexec.bat and config.sys files for each installed sound card.

Windows 9x is built on DOS, so you can probably just comment out the lines that refer to the card you want Windows to ignore, and remove the comments from the card you want to use.

Save the changes to both files and reboot, then game away.

Reply 2 of 2, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-09-11, 23:23:

I have a Windows 98 build with a Diamond MX300 currently for A3D support and wavetable MIDI use. It also works well with DOS titles.

I am wondering if it's worth throwing an Audigy 2 ZS in the mix for proper EAX support? Anyone run this combo under Windows 98, and if so, is it worth running both cards?

Keep the Aureal card as you primary card and simply take the line out on the Audigy and connect it to the line in on the MX300, install the windows drivers for both cards but dont install the DOS drivers for the Audigy, this should prevent DOS from being able to use it while leaving the MX300 as your DOS sound source. (You might have to fiddle with the Audigy to make sure it doesnt fight the MX300 in DOS but IIRC as long as you dont install the DOS drivers it shouldn't conflict with the MX300)

Now in windows any game that uses EAX will pass the sound through the Audigy to the MX300 and youll have the best of both worlds, just make sure windows knows the MX300 is your primary sound source and its the card it should be using for sound output.

Windows98 wont have an issue with both cards being in there, just be prepared to tinker with the setup a bit to get it how you want it, but the MX300 should always be your primary sound card as setting it up for DOS is far easier than the Audigy.