VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using a very small stack of MIDI equipment (Roland MT32 and SC55-mkII) and they each use their own power supply (brick).

Can I use a single (larger) power supply with a splitter or is this a bad idea? I've also seen USB-to-9v adapters which look useful for powering this equipment. (I know the polarity on the Roland equipment barrel jack is reversed from normal)

I've seen people with video game consoles try to share a single power supply and lots of people don't recommend it due to video/sound issues, etc.

Reply 1 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd looked into something like this, since I have a lot of MIDI modules and it would be more convenient to run them off fewer power supplies.

However, I wasn't able to find a PS capable of the required current. I looked at units like the Strymon Zuma High Current PS (designed for guitar pedals), but it tops out at 500mA per output.

Whereas the rated current draw on a lot of MIDI modules is higher (typically 600-800 mA). So I didn't bother going that route since I don't want to risk issues with gear from not providing the appropriate current.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 8, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply!

I'm looking at using something like an Anker PowerPort 5 which is basically a USB wall charger supporting 5V/2.4A per-port.

I would then connect the Roland equipment using a USB DC 5V to 9V cable (making sure the polarity is correct).

I could also power other small equipment like USB DACs which require 12V/1A using different USB voltage step-up cables.

Reply 4 of 8, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2022-09-21, 20:24:

I would just get a power board and a bunch of small 9v inverter PSUs. I have non-roland equipment with quite different voltage so it's much easier this way for me.

Sorry, what's a power board?

Reply 5 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sofakng wrote on 2022-09-21, 20:16:
Thanks for the reply! […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the reply!

I'm looking at using something like an Anker PowerPort 5 which is basically a USB wall charger supporting 5V/2.4A per-port.

I would then connect the Roland equipment using a USB DC 5V to 9V cable (making sure the polarity is correct).

I could also power other small equipment like USB DACs which require 12V/1A using different USB voltage step-up cables.

Instead of doing 5v DC to 9v DC upconversion, why not leverage USB PD ( power delivery) and get

- A good quality high power multi-port USB PD power adapter that supports 9V output.
- Something like these https://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-Voltage-Tr … C/dp/B08NFLDYX7 ( to tell a port the PSU to output 9V)
- Some solderable barrel jacks and wire

A bit of DYI and you're done.

Reply 6 of 8, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-09-21, 20:31:

- A good quality high power multi-port USB PD power adapter that supports 9V output.

Thanks! I've used those adapters before for many other projects (including a bench power supply) but I don't think many multi-port USB PD power adapters exist (and if so they are probably very expensive?)

(I'm using an Anker Nano II 100W USB-PD charger that has two USB-C PD ports and that currently costs $86)

Reply 7 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sofakng wrote on 2022-09-21, 20:35:
darry wrote on 2022-09-21, 20:31:

Thanks! I've used those adapters before for many other projects (including a bench power supply) but I don't think many multi-port USB PD power adapters exist (and if so they are probably very expensive?)

(I'm using an Anker Nano II 100W USB-PD charger that has two USB-C PD ports and that currently costs $86)

I've seen some for under 50 CAN$ with 2 x 9V capable PD ports on Amazon

Reply 8 of 8, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sofakng wrote on 2022-09-21, 20:29:
kolderman wrote on 2022-09-21, 20:24:

I would just get a power board and a bunch of small 9v inverter PSUs. I have non-roland equipment with quite different voltage so it's much easier this way for me.

Sorry, what's a power board?

Australian word for what Americans might call a power strip? One of these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_strip