VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I finally acquired a new multimeter and tested the cable which came with my SCC-1 Ebay purchase from years back, and I tested a midi cable I have on hand which I bought from Radio Shack, some time ago. Sure enough, the pin-out on the midi cable doesn't match the pin-out on the Roland cable, and I need a cable which will patch in between my MT-32 and my Roland cable/SCC-1. I know that I can probably cut this cable and splice it and all of that trial-n-error stuff, but is there a way to purchase a cable somewhere with the same pin-out as the what the SCC-1 requires? It may be that the midi ports on my SCC-1 are working, after all. Thanks!

Reply 2 of 18, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2022-10-05, 18:56:

Here is the service manual : https://www.electronica-pt.com/esquema/audio/ … nd-scc-1-72042/
It contains the Pinout for the connectors.

Thank you. I have been googling for midi cable pin outs to see if there are alternative cables in existence, before chopping up this one. I am also wondering how well this is going to work, though. I have an MPU-IPC-T and use one of the midi cables I may chop up for connecting my MT-32, but the SCC-1 has an alternate pin out, so how can it talk to the MT-32?

Reply 3 of 18, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SCC-1 uses same exact minidin cables as X68000 (and other Japanese computers) so cables should be easy to find if you search that way.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 4 of 18, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-10-05, 23:05:

SCC-1 uses same exact minidin cables as X68000 (and other Japanese computers) so cables should be easy to find if you search that way.

Thank you, I will search for cables for the X68000. I found one but it has a female end and can't connect to the MT-32. I may end up chopping and splicing this standard midi cable from Radio Shack. The other option is to sell the SCC-1 and get a DreamBlaster X2, but I am hoping to get this set up working (and hope that the midi ports work!)

Reply 7 of 18, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scythifuge wrote on 2022-10-06, 01:32:

Thank you, I will search for cables for the X68000. I found one but it has a female end and can't connect to the MT-32. I may end up chopping and splicing this standard midi cable from Radio Shack. The other option is to sell the SCC-1 and get a DreamBlaster X2, but I am hoping to get this set up working (and hope that the midi ports work!)

Female din5 is normal. You typically plug a standard din5 male to din5 male midi cable between the minidin adapter and the module. The original scc-1 adapter cables were the same.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 8 of 18, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2022-10-06, 03:21:

These creative labs cables work fine with an SCC1 too: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/midi-p … ive-mu-16502118

Thank you. The issue is that Besides the one SCC-1 cable and the three Creative cables I have, all I have is a midi cable with different wiring than the SCC-1 cable. I have two of them and use one between the MPU-IPC-T and the MT-32, but the same cable won't let the SCC-1 talk to the MT-32 if I use it to connect the SCC-1 (or creative cables) to the MT-32.

Reply 9 of 18, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-10-06, 03:33:
Scythifuge wrote on 2022-10-06, 01:32:

Female din5 is normal. You typically plug a standard din5 male to din5 male midi cable between the minidin adapter and the module. The original scc-1 adapter cables were the same.

Then perhaps my midi ports on the SCC-1 truly are shot. I connect the mini din to the SCC-1 "out" and use the same type of cable I use with my MPU-IPC-T/MT-32 to connect the SCC-1 cable to the "in" on the MT-32, and it doesn't work...

Reply 10 of 18, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you give us pics of your setup? Really confused by what cables you are using exactly.

Og cables and pin matching here https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.naver?isHtt … No=221551317985

Last edited by SuperDeadite on 2022-10-06, 03:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 18, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-10-06, 03:38:

Can you give us pics of your setup? Really confused by what cables you are using exactly.

I can try tomorrow as I am going to bed in a few because I have to get up early. The SCC-1 cable (male mini din and large female opposite end) is wired like how keropi's pic in this thread is wired (I picked up a mutlimeter:)

Roland SCC-1 & Mt-32

The patch cables I have, which I use when using the MPU break out box with my MT-32 is male on both ends and the signals match pin-for-pin on each end. I am trying: SCC-1 => mini din => patch cable => MT-32

Last edited by Scythifuge on 2022-10-06, 03:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 18, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scythifuge wrote on 2022-10-06, 03:42:
I can try tomorrow as I am going to bed in a few because I have to get up early. The SCC-1 cable (male mini din and large femal […]
Show full quote

I can try tomorrow as I am going to bed in a few because I have to get up early. The SCC-1 cable (male mini din and large female opposite end) is wired like how keropi's pic in this thread is wired (I picked up a mutlimeter:)

Roland SCC-1 & Mt-32

The patch cables I have, which I use when using the MPU break out box with my MT-32 is male on both ends and the signals match pin-for-pin. SCC-1 => mini din => patch cable => MT-32

Plz see my above post with link.

Reply 13 of 18, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-10-06, 03:44:
Scythifuge wrote on 2022-10-06, 03:42:
I can try tomorrow as I am going to bed in a few because I have to get up early. The SCC-1 cable (male mini din and large femal […]
Show full quote

Roland SCC-1 & Mt-32

The patch cables I have, which I use when using the MPU break out box with my MT-32 is male on both ends and the signals match pin-for-pin. SCC-1 => mini din => patch cable => MT-32

Plz see my above post with link.

Thank you! I will check it out tomorrow and post back. I appreciate everyone's efforts!

Reply 14 of 18, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't taken any pics yet and I am exhausted right now, but I cut this standard midi cable in half and using a multimeter, I spliced the wires to match the continuity of the mini-din-male/midi-female cable which had come with the SCC-1 from the ebay seller. I removed the MPU-IPC-T to avoid conflicts. I tried both Space Quest III and Ultima: The Savage Empire as they both display a sysex message on the screen in addition to the green light, which would have let me know if it was working.

It isn't.

So a standard midi cable going from a mini-din adapter (I also tried my Creative adapters) to the MT-32 AND a spliced cable matching the continuity of the pins on the mini-dins have both failed to work to use the SCC-1 as an interface. Unless I made a mistake in the wiring somehow, I think that the previous owner somehow fried the midi ports without frying the whole card since I can use it to play game music, using the RCA jacks. I have been tinkering with this off and on since I joined this forum (though I am glad to have joined, as I love this place and think everyone is cool and we all share a love for a past golden age,) so it is depressing, to say the least. I may sell the card (indicating the issue with the ports) and either go with an X2GS, or an external Sound Canvas and simply use the midi thru and a selector switch for running either MT-32 games or later GS/GM games. Or, I could put the SCC-1 in my PIII build which has a Live! for Win98 games and an AWE32 PnP for dos games which the 486 can't handle, and use the SCC-1 for GM in those games, since I don't play 486-era games on the 486. Another option is to build a Pentium 166MMX system with a Voodoo1 (I had a Pentium 90 with voodoo back in the day, but never got to experience GM back in those days as all I ever had were SB clone cards and never knew what I was missing out on.)

Or, I could say screw it and simply give up on real hardware and go with dosbox and 86box for everything. I can build my physical 486 in 86box with the same motherboard (4DPS,) same sound card, and a Mach64 variant (I am using some form of Mach64 overkill board simply because of Win 3.x drivers) and use Munt and Sound Canvas VA and play games in 70hz on my freesync tv and actually enjoy playing games since all I have been doing is build, tinerking, tweaking, and diagnosing component issues over the years rather than play my favorite games.

I am still open to advice and trying to fix this card because I have a difficult time giving up, and I appreciate everyone's efforts over the years and for dealing with my posts about this damn card. I'll play MT-32 games until I figire out how to get GM in the same machine, as I have no shortage of back catalogue games and games which I would love to beat again.

Thank you all!

Reply 15 of 18, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you provide a component-view photo of your SCC-1? There's not much to its MIDI out circuitry, and even less in your case, since it sounds like the onboard tone generator is functioning fine. Are the filters in positions L3 and L4 still present?

Reply 16 of 18, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote on 2022-10-07, 00:09:

Can you provide a component-view photo of your SCC-1? There's not much to its MIDI out circuitry, and even less in your case, since it sounds like the onboard tone generator is functioning fine. Are the filters in positions L3 and L4 still present?

Sorry for the delay; I had to take a break and I ordered an external Sound Canvas and then spend a few days trying to get large CF cards working with DDO software and gave up and then ran into other issues which I am going to post about in a new post. The external unit works great, but if the problem with this card can be solved, that would be great too! I know the card is dusty. It sat in storage for a bit, and I planned on doing a thorough cleaning once I got everything up and running.

Attachments

Reply 17 of 18, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You may want to clean-up the card a bit and retry things. It doesn't appear that any of the relevant components are missing, but pins 11 and 12 of IC5 appear to be bridged by something (hair, lint?).

How does the opposite side of the card look? There's a sizeable trace on that side that, if damaged, would inhibit external MIDI output.

Reply 18 of 18, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote on 2022-11-01, 18:55:

You may want to clean-up the card a bit and retry things. It doesn't appear that any of the relevant components are missing, but pins 11 and 12 of IC5 appear to be bridged by something (hair, lint?).

How does the opposite side of the card look? There's a sizeable trace on that side that, if damaged, would inhibit external MIDI output.

I'll try to clean it up and take a pic of the other side. Some of the hairs are recent, because I have three dogs and my shepherd sheds A LOT all year, despite the amount of brushing we do.