VOGONS

First post, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have my AWE64 all setup, works great in Windows 98SE, can even select the Midi Out option in the Multimedia Properties and Midi Files send data to the SC-55 and music plays perfectly. I also have my AWE64 setup so when in actual DOS mode that you have to reboot into, it sends MIDI to my SC-55 and again works great!

My problem though is, why won't the Windows MS DOS mode games work, when you run the game in a window enviornment. Its like it ignores the multimedia properties all together, it should be sending MIDI out port 330 to the SC-55. But instead its rendering internally on the AWE64. Is there a separate config I am missing maybe?

Thank You!

Reply 1 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

This can be done by opening the AWE Control Panel, then clicking the "Devices..." button and lastly unchecking "Allow MPU-401 Emulation on this device" option. That will ensure that any external MIDI device connected thru the gameport will be used when running a DOS program within Windows.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 9, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, that got it to work.

This triggered another question though. I have an awe64 gold, in devices I only see one device, the AWE64G MIDI SYNTH (620). Is that normal? The reason I ask is, I have no way to change sound fonts on this device. I feel like it should have a couple of the other devices that would give me access to the 4MB of internal storage for my own sound fonts.

Reply 3 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're welcome!

As for the question, it isn't normal. There should be three MIDI devices on the Multimedia properties:

• AWE64G MIDI Out [330]: Uses the external MIDI synth.
  • AWE64G MIDI Synth [620]: All MIDI playback will be rendered by the AWE card. The SoundFont can be changed in the "Synth" tab on the AWE Control Panel.
  • Creative Music Synth [220]: Will use the FM synth for MIDI playback. Avoid this one.

The selected device only works with Windows programs.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How the AWE64 Gold card is configured thru Device Manager? It seems likely that the I/O addresses for the AdLib and MPU-401 aren't exposed to Windows.

Reply 6 of 9, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Win98SE its all setup automatically. It seems to have the right resources assigned.

There are two devices listed in the device manager not including the gameport.

Creative Awe64Gold 16 IRQ 5 DMA 1/5. Input/Output ranges match what they say they should be in the manual, like 0220,0330,0388
Creative Awe64 Wavetable Midi. It has three resources per the manual as well.

Reply 7 of 9, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried a regular Awe64 that I have, non Gold version. Just popping it in lets me select the user synth, although its only 512KB 🙁 Not sure whats up with this Gold card, just won't even show UserSynth as an option in Awe Control in windows. I tried changing the interrupt to 7, that made no difference either.

Reply 8 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Strange that the other MIDI devices and the "User Synth" option aren't available. Could you try the following drivers for the AWE64 Gold card?

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=9 … menustate=44,37

Apart from this, are the other MIDI devices available on the Multimedia Properties with the regular AWE64?

Reply 9 of 9, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried with that CD as well (it was the same one I had downloaded elsewhere at least by filesize) but figured I would try this one as well. But no luck 🙁

Next to try is going back to a install point for Windows98SE where I had just finished installing it and updating/patching to get it up to date as much as possible. I have been doing backups (just copying the entire drive) so its easy to go back to the beginning. If this doesn't work then I am guessing something is wrong with the card 🙁