VOGONS

First post, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if there were any discussions about this before, but recently I noticed some particular games' FM music sounding noticeably different after I substituted my YMF718-based sound card with an ALS007-based sound card. The ALS007 is said to be SB16 compatible to some extent.

I thought it might have something to do with the FM clone (so-called LS262) on the ALS007, so I then substituted it with an actual Sound Blaster 16 (CT2950) that uses a real YMF289 (the same core as YMF71x series). The music of the game in question sounds the same as that of ALS007, different from YMF718, so I ruled out the possibility that the FM clone on ALS007 being inaccurate.

The difference is very noticeable, just like how MIDI can sound different when using different soundfonts in Windows. I recall there were some other DOS games that also behaved this way, so I wonder if some games are using different FM configurations for SB Pro and SB16 sound cards (and compatibles) for some reasons.

In some cases I prefer the SB Pro version... so I'm not sure how to actually make these games behave as if I've installed a SB Pro rather than 16. The answer might be hidden inside the games' executables.

It may be a good idea to try DOSBox to see how the games behave when I set the sound card to SB Pro instead of 16, though.

EDIT: Just checked the format the game in question used... actually the game used MIDI. So it might be just that SB Pro and 16 behave differently when playing MIDI...

Reply 2 of 3, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that the OP may have selected the original SBPro in those games in question. That one has a dual OPL2 chip configuration and whose routines for stereo separation aren't compatible with a single OPL3 chip which will output mono on both left and right speakers.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 3, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-12-08, 00:25:

What game?

FWIW The Sound Blaster Pro's Win3.1 drivers ship a Voyetra SuperSAPI FM synth driver which is very dfiferent. I hope it's not that.

An old vertical shooting game whose executable goes by the name DUCK. I originally had it on an old game CD of mine that was eventually discarded as it was no longer readable anymore (the CD had a lot of stuffs and I did not have any good means to properly back them up back then), but was able to find it again on a Russian site recently. It's been more than two decades since I last played it. My PC at that time had an ESS 688 which was also SB Pro compatible, and the game's music on YMF718 sounded just like how it used to be.

I did not immediately mention it before as the game was rather uncommon, but the phenomenon I noticed seems to happen on many games that use standard MIDI rather than specialized formats (such as IMF, SND) for music.

Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-08, 00:51:

I think that the OP may have selected the original SBPro in those games in question. That one has a dual OPL2 chip configuration and whose routines for stereo separation aren't compatible with a single OPL3 chip which will output mono on both left and right speakers.

The game I'm referring to does not have options for SB Pro or SB 16 (it auto-detects). But I know some other DOS games that do. For these games (that also use MIDI for music), choosing SB Pro and SB 16 will lead to different sounding music just like this case, though the games may not really bar you from using SB16 option even with only a SBPro compatible card.

You may be right about the stereo/mono difference, as from what I could hear, aside from differences in instruments, some notes previously near-inaudible with SB Pro can be heard clearly with SB 16, so it's probably only one channel being actually outputted through the OPL3 when the game operates in SB Pro mode (such as with YMF718).

Since all the cards I have, be it SBPro or SB16, use OPL3 (YMF262/289), I won't be able to dig deeper regarding differences between dual-OPL2 and OPL3, and I've no real idea which "version" is the one that the MIDI was supposed to be. Personally speaking, in some cases the SBPro one sounded better, while in other cases, the SB16 one.

LATE EDIT: Guess the game does differentiate between different SB revisions. Further digging of the game files led me to some MIDI driver (DRV) files for different SB revisions (original, Pro, 16, etc.). So the game was indeed using different drivers depending on the card's Sound Blaster capability.

LATE EDIT 2: The game had MIDI drivers for SB2.0, SBPro, SBPro2.0 and SB16. I experimented with substituting the SB16 driver with other ones and turned out the difference was indeed caused by the driver being used. When I used the SBPro MIDI driver in place of the SB16 one, the music now sounds just like how it was with a ESS688/YMF718.