VOGONS

First post, by dJOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

G'day lads, I've just rebuilt my DOS 6.22 gaming PC (PII 200) with and AWE64 CT4500 + PC MIDI (MPU-401) card and I'm having issues with the digital audio. The Music via my Roland MT-32 vi the PC MIDI card is flawless. Im running the SB Basic + SB CTCM drivers from Phils Lab.

I found a newer Sierra AUDBLAST.DRV file and patched it with GoSierra v3 to remove the initializing audio issue, but it when playing digital audio, it cuts out after a few seconds. eg during the intro, it'll read the text "We rejoin our friend and semi..." and stop, the game continues normally tho. Another example is the quit game screem, it play "See ya on the chrono..." and stop.

Any Ideas?

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Reply 1 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recall (you can perhaps refer to the readme.txt) file, that you can edit the resource.cfg file and increase the audio buffer size.
Edit the resource.cfg file and insert the following text: audiosize=32k. If that doesn't work, try increasing or decreasing the value.

Reply 2 of 6, by dJOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve already tried that. It didn’t help.

I eventually gave up and put my Audician 32 back in. It works perfectly and the drivers don’t eat boat loads of upper memory.

Reply 3 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Simply loading CTCM + AWEUTIL /S for the AWE64 in DOS shouldn't eat any memory.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 6, by dJOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-02-21, 21:29:

Simply loading CTCM + AWEUTIL /S for the AWE64 in DOS shouldn't eat any memory.

The instraller loads 6 different programs across the config.sys and autoexec.bat - I haven't played with my AW64 for so long I cant recall what most of them do. Anyway, my Audician 32 has real OPL3 so I might just stick to it.

Reply 6 of 6, by dJOS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2023-02-22, 12:14:

Did it do this with games other than SQ4?

The AWE cards are known to have MIDI/digital conflicts, so could well be an IRQ issue for example.

Yes, it did it with KQ5 as well. TBH, I've decided to stick with my Audician 32 - it just works ... also works great in Win98 SE too.

I'm planning to add a General MIDI module to it to compliment my MT-32.