VOGONS

SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Topic actions

Reply 823 of 1335, by androx74

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vanfanel wrote on 2023-07-22, 06:21:

Have you guys been able to get SuperFrog working with this?
Gives me a nice "Can't build video selector" error message once SBEmu is loaded. Works (silent) without it.

Nope even to me superfrog do not want to start 🙁 soneone had a fix for this game?

Reply 824 of 1335, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thx, first tests report a rather low compatibility. Mostly nothing works with it. Is there a list with working titles?
I tested some demoscene stuff, perhaps that is too specific/hardcoded...

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 825 of 1335, by dontbugster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-07-25, 08:44:

Thx, first tests report a rather low compatibility. Mostly nothing works with it. Is there a list with working titles?

Any build game works. Like duke3d, blood, ...
Also quake 1 and 2.

Descent.

I did a video (in Spanish) testing some games.
https://youtu.be/UX9HhDrsq3k

For game playing language doesn't matter

Reply 826 of 1335, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't get me wrong...for me these games are useless playing on dos with SBEMU because I can play then in highres and highend-sound in windows...the interesting part is playing games that requires dos and there is no other option...(where emulation with dosbox is not an prefered way)

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 827 of 1335, by dontbugster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-07-25, 18:11:

Don't get me wrong...for me these games are useless playing on dos with SBEMU because I can play then in highres and highend-sound in windows...the interesting part is playing games that requires dos and there is no other option...(where emulation with dosbox is not an prefered way)

I guess that also any Apogee game as well.

Which ones do you refer to?

Reply 830 of 1335, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kekkula wrote on 2023-07-29, 18:58:

Doesn't work on my mitac 7521 laptop with sis630 chipset and crystal cs4299 codec.

I made a post on audio controller support buried in this thread a while ago. SiS, and ALi, audio controllers that use an AC97 codec are not supported by SBEMU (or MPXPLAY).

Reply 831 of 1335, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Which is quite sad-- I have an old Fujitsu Lifebook that would be fantastic to use (Pentium 133 with ATI Rage Pro), but it has Ali chipset and a connexant ac'97 audio codec. SBEMU says to go pound sand.

The other laptops I have are "not period appropriate", with CPUs that are not really intended for DOS, and adapter rom regions with "Mystery Secret Sauce" in them. Oh well.

Maybe in due time it will happen.

Reply 832 of 1335, by dontbugster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-07-25, 19:59:

Team17 - BodyBlows or Tower Assault.

They look like to be speed sensitive.

I got first a runtime error, then using a slowdown utility it starts but hangs after playing some FM synth notes.

Reply 833 of 1335, by krotan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Chasm: The Rift
I was concerned about the lack of sound in this game using SbEmu.
Game won't launch with "runtime error (0025) cannot initialize" error
I thought there was a conflict between HDPMI32i.EXE (from SbEmu) and DPMI16BI.OVL (from the game).
I gave the command "hdpmi32i.exe -d" after running SbEmu.
Result: other games come with sound (wolf3d),
and Chasm: The Rift starts and runs without sound.
On startup, the SoundBlaster is recognized, but the DSP is not recognized.
Is it possible to make SbEmu pass a fictitious DSP number to the game?

Reply 834 of 1335, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krotan wrote on 2023-08-05, 16:06:

I thought there was a conflict between HDPMI32i.EXE (from SbEmu) and DPMI16BI.OVL (from the game).

DPMI16BI.OVL means the game uses 16-bit protected mode which is currently NOT supported by SBEMU at all:
Re: Possibility to write OPL3 sound driver for protected mode games

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 835 of 1335, by krotan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

P.S. config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\SYS\SBEMU\jemmex.exe
INSTALL C:\SYS\SBEMU\jload.exe C:\SYS\SBEMU\qpiemu.dll
INSTALL C:\SYS\SBEMU\hdpmi32i.exe -r -x -y
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4
autoexec.bat:
C:\SYS\SBEMU\sbemu.exe
C:\SYS\SBEMU\hdpmi32i.exe -d
Asus Eee Pc 900

Reply 837 of 1335, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-07-25, 08:44:

Just check history.. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VKadO … of=true&sd=true columns Y and Z for now.. column headers
"Vmware workstation 17+ SB-Emu"

---------------

Otherwise as i wrote before, test game without sound first.. - its good idea test in DosBox / PcEmu copy it in Virtual Wmware machine in same directory (its often saved in some configuration files as text or binary) and after test in on physical machine, there is lots of not sound related issues.. which vere never patched, to make games to run fine on modern hardware, even without jemmex hack and sb-emu ..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.