VOGONS

SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Topic actions

Reply 1002 of 1341, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thinkpad T42p and no sound so far. Tried demoscene: Verses and Drift, both don't detect sb pro and crash if forced. Next I'll try games.

Don't have DOS/Win98 yet on this so booting from floppy.

Attachments

Reply 1003 of 1341, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dj_pirtu wrote on 2023-10-14, 12:49:

Thinkpad T42p and no sound so far. Tried demoscene: Verses and Drift, both don't detect sb pro and crash if forced. Next I'll try games.

Have you checked if there is sound at headphones connector?

Reply 1004 of 1341, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
georgel wrote on 2023-10-14, 13:08:
dj_pirtu wrote on 2023-10-14, 12:49:

Have you checked if there is sound at headphones connector?

From Gods -game I got sound, too low volume at first but sbemu /vol9 helped alot.

Now I'm installing Windows 98SE and after that I can test more. Had only WinXP and tried sbemu by booting from USB-floppy drive.

Reply 1005 of 1341, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, got Windows installed (and got DOS-mode).

So, what works is Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, not bad. But what's not working is Death Rally 🙁

That's a dealbreaker 😁

Edit: without jemmex it's working, epic

Reply 1006 of 1341, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dj_pirtu wrote on 2023-10-14, 16:19:
Ok, got Windows installed (and got DOS-mode). […]
Show full quote

So, what works is Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, not bad. But what's not working is Death Rally 🙁

That's a dealbreaker 😁

That's good news, I've gotta try out SBEMU on my T42 / R42 laptop at some point. What memory manager did you use instead?

Reply 1007 of 1341, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-10-14, 18:03:
dj_pirtu wrote on 2023-10-14, 16:19:
Ok, got Windows installed (and got DOS-mode). […]
Show full quote

That's a dealbreaker 😁

That's good news, I've gotta try out SBEMU on my T42 / R42 laptop at some point. What memory manager did you use instead?

himemx.sys, so i can limit amount of memory to 256MB.

Reply 1008 of 1341, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Compatibility:
- Lemmings1 (works)
- Lemmings2 (Jemmex error)
- RiskyWoods works at start, but sound disappears and never comes back (reboot before next game)
- LostVikings (no sound at all)

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1010 of 1341, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only other one that can work is QEMM.

JEMMEX is able to have loadable modules, and that is where qpiemu.dll comes in. It's an emulation module for quarterdeck's private api.

You dont need this emulator, if the memory manager has it natively. QEMM is a quarterdeck product, and specifically, the one where this private api is used.

SBEmu uses this api to trap realmode interrupts with a protected mode handler. That's why it's a requirement.

QEMM is/was buyware and was never gifted for free to the community, so jemmex+qpiemu.dll is the freely distributable means of having this api available to use.

If you happen to have, or can obtain, a license for qemm, it's the only other option.

Reply 1011 of 1341, by KormaX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I compiled a JEMM386 version from Japheth's source code that also works, although, I posted it in the original thread and nobody cared, but it behaves a bit differently. It can be combined with other memory managers, like UMBPCI and XMGR, and it works well with Japheth's VSBHDA fork, as it can be loaded from the command line for a virtual SB session and then unloaded together with VSBHDA and the hole stuff. So you don't have to change your setup entirely.

Attachments

• Filename
    jemm386.exe
    File size
    28.27 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File comment
    Japheth's corresponding JEMM386 for the JEMMEX version mentioned here.
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

May the DOS be with you!

Reply 1012 of 1341, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

New do this sbemu, want to get some dos sound out of Dell Dimension 8300 (Intel 875p and ICH5) integrated sound if that possible? All the windows drivers are working for Windows 98 SE, even the integrated sound ad1980 works with W9x AC97 WDM 5.12.0.3665 drivers, no question marks left in device manager.

Tested with IRQ5 and IRQ7 in autoexec and used sbemu beta3, no dos sound in pure dos or win9x, slow pc if testing sound out with duke3d sound setup. Is it possible to get dos sound out of this SoundMax inside Win9x or pure dos somehow? Thank you!

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 1014 of 1341, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-10-19, 05:10:

AD1980 ? you get no error but no sound? that is exactly what I am facing...but there is hope if this is the case.

Dell Dimension 8300 has Analog Devices AD1980 AC97 Codec.
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-doc … eets/ad1980.pdf
https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esup … anual_en-us.pdf

sbemu does not give any error, it founds ac97, thats correct, but no sound output at the moment with dos or dos inside win9x.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 1015 of 1341, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
marxveix wrote on 2023-10-19, 06:18:

AD1980 ? you get no error but no sound? that is exactly what I am facing...but there is hope if this is the case.

try this sbemu build Re: SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 1016 of 1341, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-10-19, 06:40:

Same for me, no sound, i did use this package, just changed sbemu for this smaller one.
download/file.php?id=175764

Reply 1017 of 1341, by thp

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
marxveix wrote on 2023-10-19, 15:26:

Same for me, no sound, i did use this package, just changed sbemu for this smaller one.

So what about this build then? Re: SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Reply 1018 of 1341, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
thp wrote on 2023-10-19, 15:36:
marxveix wrote on 2023-10-19, 15:26:

So what about this build then? Re: SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

I have good news, Dell Dimension 8300 and sbemu works with front panel audio output, my backplate motherboard output works with Win9x AC97 driver, so it is not broken. I test two of the other sbemu again with front audio output, but this sbemu size was exactly the same as previous one. Others without sbemu sound output can also check front panel audio if the dos drivers load correctly and no sound.

Can i use sbemu also inside Win9x, right now i did boot it directly do dos. I can make 2 bootable options, one for dos and other for win9x, just settings needed for Win9x if possbile to use sbemu also inside Win9x or we use sbemu only for dos?
Re: SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Thank you, sbemu works, no need to use extra soundcard, so cool! 😀

Reply 1019 of 1341, by sergio_prado

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello @THP, i saw that you made a fork of SBEMU, and I was curious to know if you have already taken a look at VSBHDA, and if you happen to have a current version compiled with the latest changes?

What drew my attention to VSBHDA is the fact that it is compatible with HX extender and by extension, also with DOSBOX-X.

Unfortunately the latest release (Apr 12) of VSBHDA does not produce any sound on my devices. But I saw that since then the code has been changed a few times, and possibly the problem has been fixed.

I think it should be very interesting to see how DOSBOX-X runs with an emulated SoundBlaster, especially in games that use redbook audio. Anyway, if you have the latest compiled commit of VSBHDA, it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for my bad English.

https://github.com/Baron-von-Riedesel/VSBHDA