VOGONS

First post, by baracoota

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am at my wit's end. I have a situation where every ISA sound card I use is becoming damaged. I noticed the pattern after realizing that 3 of my cards were no longer producing FM or MIDI Music. Sometime Digital sound worked. I tried isolating the problem after that, and at this point, I have changed out every single part of my setup so that nothing from the original configuration is being used. I started with an old 486 board, then moved to a different 486. Known working sound cards no longer produced sound on the 2nd motherboard. I then tried a Socket 7 Pentium 133 and killed a few more cards and the motherboard itself no longer posts. I then changed every single peripheral (PSU, VGA, monitor, CF adapter,card, and ribbon cable) and switched to another Socket 7 166 and headphones. I tried a CT4170 and it worked. I then hooked up my Roland MA-12's and again, no FM music. I went back to one of the previously damaged cards, a CT2890, and that didn't work with headphones or MA-12's. I did turn the volume up to max on the MA-12's and could hear some faint music. After that, I put the previously working CT4170 in with the MA-12's and there was still no FM music. Turned up to max, heard faint sound, switched to headphones, and now no FM. Another card damaged. I eventually had to try one more card, so I grabbed a CT2980 and hooked up to headphones, and again no music, just digital sound. Never even hooked it up to the MA-12's.

Cards I think were damaged in this process:
1) Terratec Maestro 32/96
2) Ensoniq Opus
3) Ensoniq Opus #2
4) Ensoniq VIVO
5) CT2890
6) CD4170
7) CT2980

Hopefully I've explained things enough to give a general idea of how things happened. I didn't think anything was wrong in the beginning. I just thought I was having some driver/compatibility issues. Now its apparent something is going on here and I can't figure it out. I can't afford to damage another card. If anyone has any thoughts about what might be happening, please let me know. It just doesn't make sense to me. Help!

Note: I do see activity on the IRDY/BIOS LED of my Post Card when playing music, so the music is "working" , but there is no audible output. All cards are recognized, the drivers load, and there are no errors. Just no Music.

Reply 1 of 11, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Out of curiosity have you considered checking that you are getting stable clean voltage from the wall ?

If you haven’t already changed the PSU I would also do that but if it’s also occurring with a known good PSU then check wall voltages.

You might have a dirty power feed that the PSU can’t compensate for.

Reply 2 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What power supply are you using with the system?

What you're describing sounds like my recent experience with finding a couple of cards that require -5v for proper sound operation. I was checking out an Opti 931 card and thought it was broken - stereo sound wasn't working, music super quiet, thought the amp was the problem so pulled all that off and bypassed it. The next morning realised I hadn't checked for -5v on that test system. Fitted the -5v power thinger and the card works just fine.
You can check for yourself if -5v is needed by the card by looking at the 5th ISA pin on the back of the card going from the edge at the back of the case:
pin B1: Ground
pin B2: reset
pin B3: 5v
pin B4: IRQ2
pin B5: -5v
pin B6: DRQ2
pin B7: -12v

If there's a pad on the -5v spot and it has a relatively thick trace going somewhere then it might need -5v to give proper sound output.

Maybe -12v is also bad, if you're using the same PSU each time? You might also have problems with serial mice if your -12v line has a problem.

Reply 3 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Exactly what PSU (brand and model) are you using?

2. Are you sure it isn't the speakers? Are you sure the speakers aren't back feeding power into the cards from a faulty circuit? I've never heard of it happening but in theory it could be possible.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 11, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-04-08, 02:21:
What power supply are you using with the system? […]
Show full quote

What power supply are you using with the system?

What you're describing sounds like my recent experience with finding a couple of cards that require -5v for proper sound operation. I was checking out an Opti 931 card and thought it was broken - stereo sound wasn't working, music super quiet, thought the amp was the problem so pulled all that off and bypassed it. The next morning realised I hadn't checked for -5v on that test system. Fitted the -5v power thinger and the card works just fine.
You can check for yourself if -5v is needed by the card by looking at the 5th ISA pin on the back of the card going from the edge at the back of the case:
pin B1: Ground
pin B2: reset
pin B3: 5v
pin B4: IRQ2
pin B5: -5v
pin B6: DRQ2
pin B7: -12v

If there's a pad on the -5v spot and it has a relatively thick trace going somewhere then it might need -5v to give proper sound output.

Maybe -12v is also bad, if you're using the same PSU each time? You might also have problems with serial mice if your -12v line has a problem.

That's a good thought, and some of these issues can be caused by a lack of -5v, but I don't think any of the cards he listed are known to require -5v (not sure about the Terratec?). I'm not saying that definitely isn't the issue though... it's worth checking just to be sure.

My question for the OP is: What parts\devices\speakers\etc. have been connected to or involved with all of the cards? It's a little hard to tell for sure based on your description.

For some reason this reminds me vaguely of the weird missing OSC trace issue I ran into several years ago... though I really doubt that's the case here since different motherboards have been used.

As cyclone3d said, I would also be suspicious of your speakers or even the speaker power supply. Being that they are Roland speakers, does your power adapter have the correct polarity? I don't know about the MA12, but virtually all Roland gear from back in the day used center negative polarity, which is the opposite of most devices. Speakers themselves are AC, so I don't know what exactly would happen if you inverted the polarity on a DC supply that was powering speakers. Maybe they work but they cause problems like this. EDIT: I just Googled it and the MA-12 have a standard AC power cord so they apparently have everything built right in. There could still be something wrong here, but it isn't the issue I mentioned above since these have no AC\DC brick.

EDIT: Also, check whether you are using line or speaker out, and if any of your cards have jumpers to select between line and speaker. Speaker out will be amplified and is intended for basic speakers that don't have an internal amplifier. Line out is intended for any speaker with it's own amplifier. If something you're using is screwing things up, possibly switching from one output to the other may reveal something.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 11, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe the MA12s are dying? I had a situation where I thought I killed a card but it turned out my corsair speaker combo was giving up the ghost , which was a common issue with that specific model.

Reply 6 of 11, by baracoota

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for the input. Bear with me. I haven't had a chance to get in front of my test bench since I posted this. I report back with more details shortly. Just wanted to point out that I am using Older (but virtually new) Enermax and Sparkle PSUs. I have been using the same setup for years using the same power on an APC battery backup through an old Memorex power station. I've never had power issues. Every single peripheral has been changed at this point EXCEPT the keyboard running through an old passive KVM. I'll have more information shortly. Thanks again.

Reply 7 of 11, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
baracoota wrote on 2023-04-11, 16:17:

Every single peripheral has been changed at this point EXCEPT the keyboard running through an old passive KVM.

That might be worth checking.

Someone recently had two motherboards fried due to a KVM: Just burned two Leopard Rev C boards .. Help?

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 8 of 11, by baracoota

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK It's been a while. I just haven't has the time to dig into this. I found that most of my sound cards are fine with the exception of the (2) Ensoniq Soundscape Opus cards. I tested them all in a different room with all new hardware and all seems to be fine except the Opus cards will not allow the computer to POST. It hangs when they are installed. I did manage to boot with one of them one single time and that was it. I'll take it.

What I found on the original testbed setup was that I am missing the -12V on the motherboard. That is why the sound wasn't audible. The -12V is present on the PSU when nothing is connected, but is gone when connected to the AT (P8/P9) header. I removed my AT/ATX adapter and plugged directly into the ATX header (my P166 mobo has both) and the -12V is present and sound plays on both headphones and speakers! I used several motherboards during this crisis, so I'll need to look at those as well. For now, I have the KVM disconnected.

That's as far as I got, but at least I know why, not how. I'll keep plugging away. Thank you to everyone who chimed in and continuing to hang with me while I work this out.

Any ideas as to what might have taken the -12V rail down on the AT section of the board? All input is welcome. Appreciate any and all ideas.

Reply 9 of 11, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
baracoota wrote on 2023-06-11, 04:20:
OK It's been a while. I just haven't has the time to dig into this. I found that most of my sound cards are fine with the except […]
Show full quote

OK It's been a while. I just haven't has the time to dig into this. I found that most of my sound cards are fine with the exception of the (2) Ensoniq Soundscape Opus cards. I tested them all in a different room with all new hardware and all seems to be fine except the Opus cards will not allow the computer to POST. It hangs when they are installed. I did manage to boot with one of them one single time and that was it. I'll take it.

What I found on the original testbed setup was that I am missing the -12V on the motherboard. That is why the sound wasn't audible. The -12V is present on the PSU when nothing is connected, but is gone when connected to the AT (P8/P9) header. I removed my AT/ATX adapter and plugged directly into the ATX header (my P166 mobo has both) and the -12V is present and sound plays on both headphones and speakers! I used several motherboards during this crisis, so I'll need to look at those as well. For now, I have the KVM disconnected.

That's as far as I got, but at least I know why, not how. I'll keep plugging away. Thank you to everyone who chimed in and continuing to hang with me while I work this out.

Any ideas as to what might have taken the -12V rail down on the AT section of the board? All input is welcome. Appreciate any and all ideas.

Since -12V are present when you connect to the ATX header directly, measure what happens right after the ATX-AT adapter to rule out a faulty adapter. It's not certain that it's the board's fault at this point.

Reply 10 of 11, by baracoota

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG! I had the same thought while lying in bed last night and sure enough....the -12V pin on my adapter was recessed in the connector and not making contact!!! All of this over a pushed in pin on my AT/ATX adapter. Well, it really is the best case scenario as this means that there is no reason to think that anything should have truly been damaged. I need to retest the Opus cards in a different setup. I believe I should be able to get them working. Well sometimes its the little things that can trip you up!! I am so happy to know the root cause of this issue. I've been scared to use any of the affected hardware for fear of continuing to damage more parts. I think I can put this behind me and move forward again. Thank you everyone!!! Got some really great advice here.

Reply 11 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's great that you've got everything working now 😀

I've had the same issue with the low-cost AT > ATX adapters. Some of mine have hot glue holding the pins in place which helps.