VOGONS

First post, by pistolhamster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Vogons,

I want to build a late 90s, early 00s pc that spans both DOS games back to the 80s and the first 3d games of the late 90s and early 00s, when Glide and Voodoo was still a thing. And I want to use my old LAPC-I, Full length 8-bit ISA card.

I have seen an IBM 300PL model 6862 for sale at a reasonable price, but it is a bit of a strange beast that runs with the NLX form factor, which means riser board and weird AGP slot. But apart from that it is a great intersection between The New World of 3d gaming (at least until Glide and VooDoo went away), but also allows for running old DOS games "on the metal".

But I am not sure if the LAPC-I of 330 mm length (13") and 121 mm height (4") will fit in a 300PL. And how it will run.

The one I am looking at is spec'ed with

• P2 400 MHz
  • Intel 440BX chipset with 2x USB 1.1 and all legacy ports
  • S3 Trio IG
  • VooDoo 2 add-in board
  • 3,5" floppy disk
  • Cd-ROM
  • On-board network controller

The thing is very well described on Ancient Electronics.
From what I hear it fits a Sound Blaster AWE 64, and though it isn't full length, it has just enough clearance to not touch the CPU cassette, and there is a bracket for a full length card on that particular desktop case.

Anyone able to confirm?

Second question: Will it be able to run? As far as I can read, the ISA bus is running at 8.25 MHz, this is what the Technical Manual says:

PCI-to-ISA Bridge
On the system board, the Intel PIIX4E provides the interface between the peripheral component interface (PCI) and industry standard architecture (ISA) buses. The chip set is used to convert PCI bus cycles to ISA bus cycles; the chip set also includes all the subsystems of the ISA bus, including two cascaded interrupt controllers, two DMA controllers with four 8-bit and three 16-bit channels, three counters equivalent to a programmable interval timer, and power management. The PCI bus operates at 33 MHz. The ISA bus operates at 8.25 MHz.
For the ISA bus, no resource assignments are given in the system memory or the DMA channels. For information on resource assignments, see “Input/Output Address Map” on page 64 and Figure 51 on page 68 (for IRQ assignments).

Is this going to work without a lot of compatibility problems? Not sure what the BIOS allows for.

Pistolhamster of Copenhagen, Denmark

Last edited by pistolhamster on 2023-04-09, 17:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If that board & riser card has an ISA bus and that computer case is large enough to fit a card with the length of a LAPC-I you won't have problems, as you use the BX chipset.
As I have seen on the pictures the riser card is in a location where it is far away from support of long cards.
So I am sorry, it won't fit.

Reply 2 of 4, by pistolhamster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, this was also my impression at first, but after having spent more time staring at those pictures, from what I can see on this guy's pictures, the ISA slots are at the bottom of the riser card, where it is connected to the motherboard.

So, as they are mounted perpendicular to the board, the ISA board height will be swapped to be board width, when looking at it horizontally .

ibmpl20.jpg

He took out the floppy drive on this photo, so as I can tell, the ISA slot has full length available, and it even looks like there are two brackets for ISA cards in the case at the right most bit, right above the tweeter.

If you check the next image, it looks as if the ISA card will fit under the ribbon cable and below the floppy drive.
Since the card is "lying down" it should have enough clearance above.
ibmpl4.jpg

My concern is that the 121 mm height will be bumping up against the CPU cassette in its socket, or the line of capacitors next to the Slot 1. Not sure if the card clears them. I am quite confident now that the 330 mm will fit length wise, though.

Now the next question is if the ISA bus supports it properly. This I guess can't be revealed by the manual, and I have no way of checking the IBM Bios.

Reply 3 of 4, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can see it now.
It may work.
I don't expect any other issues with in a BX chipset.

But you may need to uninstall a lot of parts (CPU, floppy) just to get the LAPC-I in that case at all.