VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I search the best sound quality and best dos compatibility sound card for my Yamaha DB50XG.
SB16 not good thanks for noise, bad sound Quality, and hanging notes.
AWE32? Or Yamaha Audician or sw20pc, or other opti, crytal, ess opti, miro, ensoniq, aztech, etc...

Or Soundblaster Pro2 for sound, and an another sound card for use only midi with DB50XG or i heard some card what is transfer DB50XG to ISA card, like Yamahs SW60XG?

Thanks every helping words

Reply 1 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My DB50XG is mounted on a CT1740..
I thought it was the safest, since that soundcard has the original Wave Blaster header. 🤷‍♂️

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are the specs of the rest of your system?

What cards do you already own?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 21, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While the Yamaha Audician is a great card for DOS compatibility, the Yamaha DB50XG won't fit on most versions of that card since they are too short. Per what badmojo posted, it looks like the Addonics A151-910 might fit though.

AWE32 cards also have MIDI bugs, just not to the same extent as the SB16.

If you don't care about genuine OPL, I would look for a card with an ESS chip (ES1688 or ES1868). Something like a Terratec Profimedia Gold 16/96 should work.

Alternatively would be getting a separate card like a Roland MPU-401AT (though they are rare and expensive) and then you could pick anything as your primary DOS card.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2023-07-19, 23:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 21, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could also just get a Chill board and case from Serdaco and turn it into an external module.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 5 of 21, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-07-19, 21:31:

While the Yamaha Audician is a great card for DOS compatibility, the Yamaha DB50XG won't fit on it.

There is a full height version of this card called the A151-910 - I don't have a full sized DB anymore but I think it would fit on that card.

But yes I've used a DB50XG on an ESS Audiodrive and that was a great combination too.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 21, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2023-07-19, 23:45:
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-07-19, 21:31:

While the Yamaha Audician is a great card for DOS compatibility, the Yamaha DB50XG won't fit on it.

There is a full height version of this card called the A151-910 - I don't have a full sized DB anymore but I think it would fit on that card.

Hadn't seen that particular card before, that's good to know!

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 7 of 21, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for answers

@jo22
The CT1740 is noisy and not the best sound quality has.

@Cyclone3d
I plan a 486dx2 PC 66mhz with Asus VLB MB, VLB Tseng video, but i can build everything else, have much component.
Sound cards what i own:
3-4 Aztech, SB16:CT1740, CT22XX, CT29XX, SB32 2-3, AWE32 CT3900, 3980, 2760, some ESS, Addonics with yamaha, Awe64 value/standard/gold (this have not header) CT1350B, dual opl2 clone, CT1600 (These without header too), some with opti, yamaha sound edge sw20pc (opl4), Ensoniq sounscape vivo, and of course some gravis classic/max/pnp (have no header) , mirosound pcm10 (opl4), Terratec promedia base1.

@Superdeadite
I have yamaha sw60xg isa card, yamaha mu50, and roland sc-55 external midi device, and a mpu-401 module so me don't need serdaco chill module.
For me the most important which sound card has the best sound quality (digital+opl3), with the best snr ratio, and with best compatibility.
My original plan was : CT1600 Soundblaster Pro2+mpu401 modul+Yamaha mu50/Roland SC-55 or CT1600+Yamaha SW60XG, but maybe is a soundcard with better snr/sound quality than CT1600

@badmojo
Which ESS soundcard have you?
How are you satisfied with sound quality?

I see ISA MPU card from serdashop/pcmidi, but 125€ is very expensive.
https://www.serdashop.com/ISA-MPU-Card
With this i can connect db50xg with use of it's full feature (the soundcards with uart waveblaster connectors as i know, only can handle standard 16 channel midi, but db50xg have much more capability)?
Somewhere is cheaper version from it?

Reply 8 of 21, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
envagyok wrote on 2023-07-20, 03:57:

Somewhere is cheaper version from it?

You might need to verify if your DB50XG fits on this and if it really fits all your needs, but there is an adapted HARDMPU-clone with WT-header for self building: https://github.com/PickledDog/hardmpu-wt

It's not a clone of Serdaco's, but based on a different project from here:
HardMPU, anyone?

Reply 9 of 21, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@badmojo

I don't actually have an Audiodrive anymore, I prefer a YMF719 based card these days, but this is the one I used in the past: Re: ESS AudioDrive (ES1868) - a surprisingly good ISA sound card

That was a great card.

Reply 11 of 21, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2023-07-20, 11:29:

@badmojo

I don't actually have an Audiodrive anymore, I prefer a YMF719 based card these days, but this is the one I used in the past: Re: ESS AudioDrive (ES1868) - a surprisingly good ISA sound card

That was a great card.

Hey hey!!! Seems like after all these years I managed to convince you, the YMF chipset did it in the end!

Any case I like the Audiodrives too, specially the Guillemot ones!

Reply 12 of 21, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well if you want to play games:
With what you have, you need 3 - 4 Isa cards:
I have a PC for example with :
1-SBPRO 2 CT1600
2-SB16 CT2770, (less components less noise, remember to ground floating pins , recap, etc for best audio)
3-Gravis Ultrasound Classic 1mb
4-PCMIDI with WT drawer. (125€ though) Here you can use any midi DB you want and still connect to external modules. You can also get Roland MPU401AT, or others.
This config also allows you to play trackers etc.
Cons of this is that you need 4 ISA slots.
Pros, you cover almost everything (Not tandy, cms ,sid, DSS etc ).
There are many choices with what you have.

Reply 13 of 21, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote on 2023-07-20, 14:41:

Hey hey!!! Seems like after all these years I managed to convince you, the YMF chipset did it in the end!

Haha yes you won in the end! Once that filter mod came along to 'fix' the dry output (not a problem for some but I didn't like it) then I haven't looked back 👍

Reply 14 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you for answers

@jo22
The CT1740 is noisy and not the best sound quality has.

You're welcome. 🙂

I know, but I like the old Noise Blaster for some weird reason. 🤷‍♂️
Reminds me of that early, bassy Sega Genesis model.
The CT1740 being configured for line-out, also. And has DSP 4.05, I think.

For my audiophile needs I have DOSBox, Munt and Yamaha/Roland softh synths and a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones.. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 21, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Marmes wrote on 2023-07-20, 15:02:
Well if you want to play games: With what you have, you need 3 - 4 Isa cards: I have a PC for example with : 1-SBPRO 2 CT1600 2- […]
Show full quote

1-SBPRO 2 CT1600
2-SB16 CT2770, (less components less noise, remember to ground floating pins , recap, etc for best audio)
4-PCMIDI with WT drawer. (125€ though) Here you can use any midi DB you want and still connect to external modules. You can also get Roland MPU401AT, or others.

It seems good.
What is the best settings (irq/dma/...)?
Gus to 7,7,7,7
Sb pro 2.0 irq5
Sb16?

Reply 16 of 21, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
envagyok wrote on 2023-07-22, 05:08:
It seems good. What is the best settings (irq/dma/...)? Gus to 7,7,7,7 Sb pro 2.0 irq5 Sb16? […]
Show full quote
Marmes wrote on 2023-07-20, 15:02:
Well if you want to play games: With what you have, you need 3 - 4 Isa cards: I have a PC for example with : 1-SBPRO 2 CT1600 2- […]
Show full quote

1-SBPRO 2 CT1600

It seems good.
What is the best settings (irq/dma/...)?
Gus to 7,7,7,7
Sb pro 2.0 irq5
Sb16?

SBpro 2 220 I5 D1
SB16 240 I5 D0/1 H5
gravis 260 7,7,7.7

Irq sharing if you want

Reply 18 of 21, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am currently facing a similar problem.
I would like to find a solution to include a standard yamaha clone board.

A one-card solution for me would likely have an ES1868 as base. But I would also like to use a SB 16/32 combatible card like the AWE 64 Gold.

I am wondering if I could manage to run them together? Is there a 101 thread here somewhere on how to run two (ISA) sound cards in one PC?

After my experience with a Maestro 32/96 plus daughterboard, I realized that it might not be so easy to get the game to use the right midi card.

Thanks for input

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 19 of 21, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ux-3 wrote on 2023-07-25, 22:15:
I am currently facing a similar problem. I would like to find a solution to include a standard yamaha clone board. […]
Show full quote

I am currently facing a similar problem.
I would like to find a solution to include a standard yamaha clone board.

A one-card solution for me would likely have an ES1868 as base. But I would also like to use a SB 16/32 combatible card like the AWE 64 Gold.

I am wondering if I could manage to run them together? Is there a 101 thread here somewhere on how to run two (ISA) sound cards in one PC?

After my experience with a Maestro 32/96 plus daughterboard, I realized that it might not be so easy to get the game to use the right midi card.

Thanks for input

Multiple ISA sound card setups are definitely do-able.

If you want to run both simultaneously, you'll need to configure each card with settings (address, irq, dma) to avoid conflicts.

For example, one card could be a220, i5, d1, and the other a240, i7, d3.

Another option is to use a boot menu with different software card configurations. Then you set up different boot options for enabling or disabling each card, and/or setting them to whichever settings you need.

For MIDI, I would recommend taking a look at the software MIDITO: MIDIto r12 (Midi and FM redirection, Mixer locking, Sound Blaster fixes)

It's used to redirect standard MIDI 330 to whichever MIDI port you want. So you can set up multiple MIDI cards or daughterboards with different ports, set games to standard 330 port, and then use MIDITO to redirect 330 to whichever device you want.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build