VOGONS

First post, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel like there must be something I don't understand about MIDI output through the gameport connector specifically from ISA cards, but I can't find any answers. I seem to get hanging/missing/wrong notes on every ISA card I've tried, but PCI cards on the same system seem fine.

I'm using an MT32-Pi and my tests have been Monkey Island for MT-32 mode, and Doom for SC-55 mode.

Here's a list of the cards I've tried:
-Yamaha YMF719B-S
-OPTi 82C931
-ESS ES1868F
-SB AWE64 CT4520

Problems happen both in pure DOS7.1 with Unisound and SoftMPU, and in Windows 98. And it seems like the severity is different depending on the card. The OPTi and the AWE64 seem like they are almost there, and the other two are way worse.

In the same system I've been able to use some PCI sound cards and the problems are gone. DOS drivers are more spotty for some of them, so I only really spent the time to get my Aureal Vortex working in pure DOS, and it seems fine. And in Windows an ALS4000 and Yamaha YMF744B-V also work well.

Up to this point I'd been testing on a few Pentium and Pentium 2 systems, and I know that speed can be a problem for certain games(although that wouldn't explain why they work with the PCI cards), so I finally got my 486 DX2-50 system up and running hoping that this would fix my problem. Sadly they are all still full of hanging/missing/wrong notes.

Are there some possible conflicts or weird settings somewhere that I'm just not thinking about? Does the MIDI-out from an ISA card operate differently than a PCI card, and maybe the MT32-Pi doesn't like it? I get the sense from what I've seen online that it should just work, but maybe there's more to it than I think.

Reply 1 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suspect a gameport->midi cable problem, what do you use for this?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 16, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2023-08-07, 22:38:

I suspect a gameport->midi cable problem, what do you use for this?

Here's a look at the cable. It came still sealed in a bag that seemed legit. I bought it on eBay from someone who said it was new old stock, but I guess it's hard to know for sure.

midi1.JPEG
Filename
midi1.JPEG
File size
538.69 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
midi2.JPEG
Filename
midi2.JPEG
File size
163.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

If this is the problem, does it make any sense that it would work just fine on my PCI sound cards? That felt like a good reason to cross it off the potential suspect list, but I fully admit I don't know much about the inner workings of these things.

Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-08-07, 22:39:

If you repeat the process on the same game twice, are the missing notes in the same places?

I went back through a couple of the cards and listened to them multiple times each. Both from just closing and re-opening the game. And also from a full power cycle of the system and the MT32-Pi. Sometimes they might sound similar between runs, but they would always deviate. My favorite example is I got a rendition of Doom E1M1 that turned into piano, and the next run sounded like xylophone. 😀 Just to be clear though, that was the most extreme example. It is more commonly hanging or missed notes, not always incorrect instruments.

Reply 4 of 16, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the case of Doom, be sure to only connect the PC's MIDI out cable to the module's MIDI in. Do not connect the module's MIDI out to PC MIDI in. This is a known issue with Doom.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 5 of 16, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote on 2023-08-08, 03:20:

In the case of Doom, be sure to only connect the PC's MIDI out cable to the module's MIDI in. Do not connect the module's MIDI out to PC MIDI in. This is a known issue with Doom.

I've only got the MIDI out cable connected, but I appreciate the suggestion. I had no idea that was a problem with Doom.

Reply 6 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe your gameport->midi cable is just straight wire connections without any components in between - it would explain why older cards have issues with it
sadly you cannot easily check since it's molded type of cable... several components are needed inside the cable to make it work reliably as shown here: http://midi.teragonaudio.com/hardware/pc_intfc.htm

I am sure that if you can test with something like a DB15MIDI things would work just fine.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 16, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MIDI port uses IRQ 2 = IRQ 9.
Try setting IRQ 9 as "Legacy ISA" in CMOS Setup, to make sure that no PCI/ISAPNP card uses that interrupt.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 8 of 16, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I reminded myself in another thread that I should post a conclusion to this. I ended up ordering the DB15MIDI and all my ISA cards seem to work great with it. It would seem that the cable was the problem.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Cheers.

Last edited by danieljm on 2023-10-05, 15:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 16, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where can I find more info on this? I see some search hits here and there but no detailled information. It would kinda ruin a build I was planning.

YouTube

Reply 11 of 16, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
midicollector wrote on 2023-10-04, 21:52:

What brand was the cable? Just curious so others can avoid it.

I bought it off eBay. It was still sealed in a clear plastic bag, but there was no brand. I was hoping it was some new old stock, but I guess not.

Reply 12 of 16, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2023-10-05, 13:13:

Where can I find more info on this? I see some search hits here and there but no detailled information. It would kinda ruin a build I was planning.

Sorry, I don't know the technical details, but as your search results will show, Doom does strange things when module MIDI out is connected to PC MIDI in. Unplugging that cable has fixed external MIDI playback for several people. I would guess it's a bug in Doom's MIDI driver, but just a guess.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 13 of 16, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m using a gameport to midi adapter with both the midi out and midi in plugged into the sc55 and haven’t had a problem with Doom that I’ve noticed. I am using an older version of doom though.

Reply 15 of 16, by fjardest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
danieljm wrote on 2023-08-07, 22:00:

I'm using an MT32-Pi and my tests have been Monkey Island for MT-32 mode, and Doom for SC-55 mode.

Problems happen both in pure DOS7.1 with Unisound and SoftMPU, and in Windows 98.

Hello,

SoftMPU is for MPU intelligent mode or MPU emulation on non-mpu compatible interfaces. Your cards are UART MPU compatible and neither doom nor monkey island require intelligent mode. Try without it.

Greets.

Reply 16 of 16, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fjardest wrote on 2023-10-06, 20:39:
Hello, […]
Show full quote
danieljm wrote on 2023-08-07, 22:00:

Problems happen both in pure DOS7.1 with Unisound and SoftMPU, and in Windows 98.

Hello,

SoftMPU is for MPU intelligent mode or MPU emulation on non-mpu compatible interfaces. Your cards are UART MPU compatible and neither doom nor monkey island require intelligent mode. Try without it.

Greets.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try without SoftMPU, but the results seemed even worse at the time, so I just assumed that it was at least helping somehow.

Since getting the DB15MIDI I haven't actually gone back and tried it without SoftMPU because it's just been working great, but I should probably tinker some more and figure out what's possible.

Cheers.