Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys!
I recently build myself a dedicated dos machine with part laying around:

Ga5ax MB
K6-2+ 550
Voodoo 3 1000 8mb
Audician 32 + (addonics varient)

It works amazing for late dos games but I encountered a problem when wanting to use my sc55 on it.
If I use SB FX and SB music, everything works. When I use SB FX and and sound Canvas plugged in the line in or mic, I only hear the Roland music.
I tried messing around with setupsa but it didn't work!

Do you happen to know how to fix that?

Reply 1 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to be clear : If you unplug the SC55 from line-in, SB sound returns ?

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 10, by Tyrhus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-10-21, 14:08:

Just to be clear : If you unplug the SC55 from line-in, SB sound returns ?

Unfortunately not. In Duke3d setup both test fine, but when I launch the game, I only have the sc55 music!

Reply 5 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do have sound card's MIDI IN cable also connected (to SC-55's MIDI OUT) ? There are games that will break when that is connected too.

Reply 6 of 10, by Tyrhus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-10-21, 18:33:

Do have sound card's MIDI IN cable also connected (to SC-55's MIDI OUT) ? There are games that will break when that is connected too.

Yes both are connected, I'm going to try and disconnect it. What I don't get is why both FX and music are working running the tests in the setup...

Reply 7 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soundcard midi-in is not needed at all and should be disconnected in gaming sessions because like Tiido wrote some games will do crazy stuff. Use the IN port only when needed with some sequencer or other music production software.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 10, by Tyrhus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2023-10-21, 19:39:

Soundcard midi-in is not needed at all and should be disconnected in gaming sessions because like Tiido wrote some games will do crazy stuff. Use the IN port only when needed with some sequencer or other music production software.

I'm going to try that!
Never had any problem with a ymf win98 PCI card, maybe the audician is more delicate.

Reply 9 of 10, by Tyrhus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok guys i just disconnected the midi-out port of the SC-55 and yeah, now it works!!
I would have never thought about that thanks! Ive been using the sc-55 with a yamaha waveforce variant on a widows 98 pc, with both in and out plugged in with no problem!

Reply 10 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI cards are special since they're not actually MPU401 compatible and the windows driver that emulates the interface can cut some corners such as not providing any MIDI IN functionality for sake of compatibility.
Good to hear this was the problem ~
This also applies to other cards not just YMF71x based stuff, MIDI IN connection is usually trouble and only MIDI OUT should be connected as far as gaming goes.