VOGONS

First post, by Neodeus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have recently built a 386, and I have been trying to get it going. Most of the sound cards I have are PNP and will not work in this computer. I do have an Aztech MMSN810 (Galaxy BAS 16 I believe). I installed it's drivers, changed it's resources, and for the most part it seems to be working. I have run in to an odd issue with games I have tested. Adlib music seems to play normally, some sound effects seem to play normally, other effects do not play at all, or seem to be at very low volume.

Here are some examples -
Wolf 3D - Music works, simple sound effects like picking up some treasure / menu selection / menu confirmation all work. What does not seem to work are the digital effects(?). I call them that, because I am not sure what they should be called. The enemy barks, gun sounds, door sounds, all seem to have issues. If you listen very close you can kind of hear them at super low volume.

Duke Nukem 2 - This seems OK? I am not sure if the same applies for this game, but all sound effects seemed to be OK.

XCOM UFO - Music works, no sound effects. Clicking on menu items and such produce no sound. Have tried setting to sound blaster / sound blaster pro / sb16, game launches, but no effects.

I have tried to use the volume setting program to load factory defaults. That did not seem to help.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Sound card bad? Setting I'm missing? Just so happened to try games that have compat issues with this card?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
-Albert

Reply 2 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the mixer utility, there is also an option to choose between mono or stereo mixing. Choose mono (it will still produce stereo output).

I have noticed that the card seems to have a lower volume at the default settings. Just increase the digital sound output but, just be aware that some games might reset it again back to default.

Reply 4 of 6, by Neodeus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried using the mixer TSR. Most games seem to default it to mono. I set to stereo and save, just to try something different. That did not seem to help. What is odd is in Wolf3D if I set it to disney sound source then it works. Sound is perfect. Seems like whenever I set it as SB / SB16 / SB Pro no games I've tried like to play digital sounds. Very odd. I tried panning hard left and hard right for balance, that did not seem to change anything.

Reply 5 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Verify your Set Blaster environment variable and that it matches the configuration of the card.

Run the Diagnose program in the Utility directory again to test your settings. Stick to the default of A220 I5 D1 T4. You can also try IRQ 7 but make sure you don't have any resource conflicts (like your parallel port).

Most likely, you are using a multi I/O card with jumpers on it. If you can figure out the jumper settings, disable LPT1 & COM2 (unless your are using it).

Reply 6 of 6, by Neodeus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the additional advice. The reason I was trying to use this card, other than the fact that I like to try and use all different cards in my old PCs, is that I needed a non-PNP card. This is for a 386 build, and it's BIOS does not have PNP support. I tried this card on various IRQs and other settings. Environment variables were good. I tried to change the "T" type in the blaster settings to different variants, but literally nothing helped. I don't know if this card is bad or what. I will definitely try it out in a different computer at some point. I had another Aztech card, this one was a Packard Bell sound / modem combo job. This PC did not like that sound card either. Similar issues. FM music played fine, but no blaster audio. Finally I checked one of my other computers and found I had an Opti card with a PNP disable jumper. I installed that card in this computer and now it works great. I've tried multiple games and it works a treat. Come to think of it when I installed the card in the 386 I forgot to jump the "disable" PNP jumpers; yet doesn't seem to cause any issues. Not sure if this computer just hates Aztech cards or what. I will def have to test them in another machine one day.