VOGONS

First post, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a clean looking XG recently in a random pickup and was planning on installing it in a 98 build. Was excited to try FFVII with it I've always been curious. But it seems to be dead. I've tried it in two computers and both refused to post at all if the card is slotted. Any ideas what could cause this? Something just shorted out on the board somewhere? Any chance of saving it or is it set for the recycler?

Attachments

• IMG_4100.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_4100.jpeg
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The two thinner electrolytic capacitors near the CD audio connector look like they might have been slightly bent by physical force. Hard to tell from that photo, but it's possible that the solder joints on the back side got damaged.

Post high resolution photos of both the front and the back side of the card, and someone might be able to tell you more.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 5, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-11-03, 06:48:

The two thinner electrolytic capacitors near the CD audio connector look like they might have been slightly bent by physical force. Hard to tell from that photo, but it's possible that the solder joints on the back side got damaged.

Post high resolution photos of both the front and the back side of the card, and someone might be able to tell you more.

Done. Solder joints all look ok just from eyeballing, but I know that's not always reliable. Wonder if there could be a short somewhere?

Attachments

• IMG_4102.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_4102.jpeg
    File size
    1.72 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_4101.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_4101.jpeg
    File size
    1.66 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FinalJenemba wrote on 2023-11-03, 16:28:

Done. Solder joints all look ok just from eyeballing, but I know that's not always reliable. Wonder if there could be a short somewhere?

I can't spot anything suspect on a cursory glance, maybe someone else will have better luck.

BTW, if you haven't done so already, try cleaning the contacts which go into the PCI slot with isopropyl alcohol. And if that doesn't help, go over them a few times with a pencil eraser. Due to improper storage, sometimes a thin layer of corrosion can form on the contacts, which can prevent electrical flow.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 5, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FinalJenemba wrote on 2023-11-03, 16:28:

If the card causes a short circuit, PSU protection will work. In this case, the propellers on the cooling fans briefly move after the PC is switched on and nothing else. Once the card is pulled, PC functions normally.