VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dual Module Player, also known as DMP, is a very well crafted piece of software. It support a wide range of configuration, sound cards and music format. Which make it a nice player to keep around as it's always handy now and then to play music.

Which make it that now and then that question reoccur, what is Dual in DMP ? Maybe it's related to early stage in development ? I have not found reference to it in the doc, is there a hint I have not seen ? Maybe someone know something about it, I've always been curious to know.

Reply 1 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Support for both MOD and STM formats?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://github.com/ochrons/dsmi

DSMI was used as a basis for the Dual Module Player application (DMP) which allowed users to play (originally) both MOD and STM (Scream Tracker) formats, hence the name.

Reply 4 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2023-11-05, 20:53:

Curious if you went from memory or actually had to look it up like I did.

Well, I looked in the DMP.DOC from some early version, and there's that hint:
It's a standalone module player with which you can play STM-files as well as Amiga modules (MOD or NST).

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 5 of 5, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you Grzyb and darry. Another mystery solved ! Although I realized I was a bit enthusiasm saying that DMP support a wide variety of module, since I count barely 8, but oh well, quantity dont make quality. I also see it now in dmp.rev of dmp4.00 mention of stm and mod at version 1.00. I guess it make sense that would be it.