VOGONS

SC8850 one easy mod, bring back the magic of sound

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

EDIT by Dominus:

DO NOT BYPASS OR DISABLE A FUSE! THIS IS NOT SAFE! FUSES ARE THERE TO SAFE YOUR LIFE!

The SC8850 sounds flat, bland and boring, lacks musicality, when compared to the SC88PRO and SC8820

I changed the power cord to Cablecreation before , the sound improved a lot, but it's still not as sweet as sc8820 & sc88pro,

Today I tried bypassing the fuse, and the sound improved greatly again.
(I used a 14awg wire, added some solder on it, 14AWG sounds best when used as power cord)

Now I can't tell the difference between SC8850 and SC8820, both sound sweet

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    Filename
    22.jpg
    File size
    87.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    218.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Dominus on 2023-11-20, 19:10. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 41, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice troll. Bypassing a fuse is obviously stupid and dangerous and shouldn’t be done and isn’t going to have any impact on the sound. Neither is replacing the cord. I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt with the cord thread but this just exposes you as trolling.

Reply 3 of 41, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SC-8850 has flat sound due to the AK DAC. All Roland units with this DAC just don't sound quite as good - JV-1010, XV-5080, and many others.

Although it's worth pointing out that the 8820 and 50 aren't actually the same unit, they are different in many ways, mostly - but not all - subtle ones.

Reply 4 of 41, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bypassing fuses and changing power cords?

This is the worst (and arguably most dangerous) electronics advice I've ever seen.

This post should probably be removed lest anyone try replicating this.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 41, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
midicollector wrote on 2023-11-18, 00:09:

Nice troll. Bypassing a fuse is obviously stupid and dangerous and shouldn’t be done and isn’t going to have any impact on the sound. Neither is replacing the cord. I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt with the cord thread but this just exposes you as trolling.

I'll make a comparison video.
I've 2 SC8850

done, comparison video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvHwHWX3LOk

Last edited by shandavid on 2023-11-18, 23:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 41, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not again... Roland SC8850, replace the power cord as soon as possible.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 11 of 41, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shandavid wrote on 2023-11-18, 23:26:
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-11-18, 23:17:

They sound the same.

No, the sound on the left side is more comfortable, relax and smooth than the right side, the timbre is better.
listen it carefully

I did.

I don't hear a substantive difference.

Btw, if you really wanted to put this to the test, you'd need to do a blind listening test. Have people vote on the one they think sounds better. If the a statistically significant number of folks prefer over the other, then there might be something there.

Otherwise, it's probably just a placebo effect.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2023-11-18, 23:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 13 of 41, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Youtube compression makes such tests pointless. If you are truly serious about this (and not just a troll), upload some raw wav recordings please. Also please explain your recording setup.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 14 of 41, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shandavid wrote on 2023-11-18, 23:14:

Some people don't seem to know that power cord and fuse can affect sound....

Some people here are electrical engineers and really pissed that you tell people to bypass fuses...

Thats a different thing...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 16 of 41, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DerBaum wrote on 2023-11-19, 00:11:

Some people here are electrical engineers and really pissed that you tell people to bypass fuses...

Respectfully, but more explicitly, some (probably most) people here

a) do not have a death wish (bypassing a fuse without replacing it with something with equivalent functionality is viewed as "no bueno" by most people)
b) understand the concept of confirmation bias : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
c) expect more convincing and quantative proof than a variant on the theme of "trust me, bro, it's more betterer, have a listen through youtube"

Reply 17 of 41, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-11-18, 23:53:
Yes. But this time even with a risk of fire. Excellent. […]
Show full quote
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-11-18, 22:23:

Yes. But this time even with a risk of fire.
Excellent.

Natural selection i guess...

We have a phrase for this type of character: dumb and persistent. Or maybe he's an ordinary LVL99+ troll. The most worrying thing is that there are people who fall for his BS.

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 18 of 41, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please, open another 1756483 topics for this wonderful Roland SC-8850's "power cord mod"! Until now you have only three.

Reply 19 of 41, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2023-11-19, 00:11:

The principles of the two are different. If you are just an electronics engineer, and do not understand sound quality and timbre, you will not be able to produce good sound.

and that's why modern midi modules sound bad, and that's why you are here and playing old school audio hardware.