VOGONS

First post, by Shadic95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

A project of mine at this time is to Digitally record all of the music from Monolith Production's Claw, on my Sound Blaster AWE32, with the 4MB Soundfont the game loads if you have enough RAM, and with the proper driver to ensure MIDI doesn't sound broken, as newer drivers break MIDI playback (see here: https://twitter.com/lebrickster/status/1728301061708882010 ). However, I am currently having to record these songs from within the game itself, in order to have the proper Reverb and Chorus values, since the game seems to set its own (A global one for all songs, I assume, and not on a per song basis), which are otherwise just the default settings, if I were to play the songs back within WinAmp.

Is there any way to extract the Reverb and Chorus Values and Types the game is setting, so I could manually set these within the AWE Control Panel within Windows, to record these songs without the stutter that also running the game brings? And would there be an easy way to reset the control panel values back to default, after the fact? Thank you!

Reply 1 of 3, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, for one thing you can change the reverb and chorus with AWEUTIL.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 3 of 3, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking through extracted MIDI files (not done by me, so i'm assuming the XMI->MID conversion was done correctly) the game doesn't appear to use typical reverb/chorus MIDI parameters (cc91/93), so it could well only be done for the AWE. Hopefully Stretch's suggestion is a good one, I can't think of any other possibilities short of asking the composer(s).

Once you find out the values, you can set them (or even put them in the MIDI as reverb/chorus instructions, assuming the AWE responds to cc 91/93).

Another possibility if for some reason SysEx/cc 91/93 are being sent but aren't being captured in the extracted MIDI is to record MIDI output from the game and see what is sent before any music plays.