VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there

Unfortunately, I had to put my Atari pc3 in the warehouse from the DOS retro corner, because I can use the Dos era much better with a 486dx2 and a Pentium 233 configuration, and no place for 3 computer.
But in order not to be without an XT, I thought I'd put my nice little IBM PS2 Model 30 8088 in the living room to play games from 1992 and before.
I would like to ask for advice on which sound card combination I can use to achieve the best sound quality and the best compatibility with games from the beginning of the DOS era.
1.: Aztech Pro16 (810), which is sb compatible and also emulates covox.
2.: Sb Pro dual opl2 clone, and next to it a covox module that can be connected to a parallel port.

I have many other sound cards besides these, for example sb 2.0, sb pro2, sb 16, mediavision pas16, adlib clone.

Thanks in advance for any tips and help.

Attachments

• 20231203_130444.jpg
    Filename
    20231203_130444.jpg
    File size
    1.88 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to point out that many games from 1990 onwards requires more RAM and processing power than what an XT PC can offer.

Having said that, I would probably go for a Sound Blaster 2.0 or Adlib clone for an XT PC. It all depends which games you wish to play.

You could probably also install a Sound Blaster Pro but that sound card is probably better suited for a 286 or 386 system. I can't think now of any games that can run satisfactorily on an XT PC and at the same time make use of the Sound Blaster Pro 2's capabilities.

Don't really see the need for you to install a Covox module if you also have a Sound Blaster installed. The handful of games that supported the Covox Speech Thing also provided Sound Blaster support.

Reply 2 of 4, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, i think many covox game not support soundblaster.
I have ps2 386 too, but unfortunately i dont have mictochannel sound card.
My other 286/386/486/Pentium pc's not so small and nice as ps2 model30

Reply 3 of 4, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
envagyok wrote on 2023-12-03, 13:22:

IBM PS2 Model 30 8088

You mean 8086, right?
There were two generations of Model 30: 8086 and 286, but no 8088.

Oh, i think many covox game not support soundblaster.

Not many.
And using Covox is CPU-intensive, don't expect it to work well with an 8086.

I have ps2 386 too, but unfortunately i dont have mictochannel sound card.

That's a good machine for a Covox, then.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...