VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I would like to control a midi soundcard that run on a Win98 computer using a remote Win10 computer. I was wrong to assume that MidiOX or MidiYoke would provide network support which is too bad since the program work nicely on both computers. I found some program that would send and receive midi over network but they dont seem to work on both OS. I would assume I need same program as midi over network is probably not a defined standard.

Has anyone know a way to do it ?

Thank you !

Reply 1 of 2, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i routinely play midi over serial port between dos/win98 and win10. win98 has roland and yamaha serial drivers that work nice and win10 can use hairless midi. (dos can use softmpu.)

the only midi player i know of that has network support and runs on both win98 and win10 is midiplayer6, https://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html.

Reply 2 of 2, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your message made me ponder about using other means of connection between the two computers, which lead me to realize I was the fool not to have considered using midi cables all along, I analyzed my setup with the little midi knowledge I have and I think it's very possible using a long wire and some passive adapters that I already have. I think it's a case of not seeing the forest for the trees and it's with discussion that solutions appears, however obvious they are.

But I gave midiplayer6 a try and I'm excited to report that it work very well. Feel so good to control over network the Oasys pci on a retro gear using the BassStation][ that is hooked on my daw. Now I'm confident I will be able to lay down and audit some midi track on Reaper and have them generated on the retro gear for a project. Thank you very much for your input stanwebber🙏